ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support

<< < (7/11) > >>

wraith808:
This ain't a mistake what got learned from. Unless of course the "lesson" was don't get caught. It's a pure and simple evil corporate money grab attempt at backing-the-winning-pony. They recoiled because they got $panked ... Not because they learned anything/had a change of "heart"/realized it was wrong...
-Stoic Joker (December 24, 2011, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm afraid Stoic is 100% correct in his analysis.  :(

GoDaddy talks a good game. But they're a big sprawling corporation. And many who have used GD soon discover there's often serious disconnects between what's being said and what's being done.

-40hz (December 24, 2011, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

The thing that people often forget, is that corporations are not entities.  They are made up of people, and the larger the corporation, the more stratified the people are.  Maybe there is a disconnect in management, but there so often is.  There probably wasn't at the lower levels (and perhaps even at the higher levels- the people who couldn't convince the policy makers not to do this).  And perhaps those same people, in the face of the internet screaming, used that as leverage to get things done.  Perhaps the outcry by itself did nothing.  We don't know.

But what we do know is that those people are still employed there, and boycotting after a reversal will hurt them, and make the case less clear cut for people trying to work from the inside in the future.

The thing is, is there a history of negative actions.  Not that I've seen... and that history would bear out the boil them in oil attitude.  Not one incident.  At least IMO.

Renegade:
The thing that people often forget, is that corporations are not entities.  They are made up of people, and the larger the corporation, the more stratified the people are.  Maybe there is a disconnect in management, but there so often is.  There probably wasn't at the lower levels (and perhaps even at the higher levels- the people who couldn't convince the policy makers not to do this).  And perhaps those same people, in the face of the internet screaming, used that as leverage to get things done.  Perhaps the outcry by itself did nothing.  We don't know.

But what we do know is that those people are still employed there, and boycotting after a reversal will hurt them, and make the case less clear cut for people trying to work from the inside in the future.

The thing is, is there a history of negative actions.  Not that I've seen... and that history would bear out the boil them in oil attitude.  Not one incident.  At least IMO.
-wraith808 (December 24, 2011, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Grrr...  >:(

Now I'm conflicted again...

Pulling out says that there is no forgiveness... But, it also says to other companies that they had better not go down that path to start with...

Sigh... :(

Stoic Joker:
But what we do know is that those people are still employed there, and boycotting after a reversal will hurt them, and make the case less clear cut for people trying to work from the inside in the future.-wraith808 (December 24, 2011, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sure there are many good (albeit horrible misguided...) people that work for the RIAA, but that's not an excuse to cut-them-a-break. The SOPA is an incredible dangerous piece of legislation that requires a crystal clear message. We The People, will not tolerate the further weakening (and destruction) of the Constitution.

A bad idea is just that. A bad idea. And the SOPA is a bad idea. Any mercy shown will only give rise to the perception that maybe it just needs a better spin, or a more subtle pitch/insertion. The corporations need to be fearful of the people ... Not the other way around, which is where it's headed. An example must be made.

Renegade:
But what we do know is that those people are still employed there, and boycotting after a reversal will hurt them, and make the case less clear cut for people trying to work from the inside in the future.-wraith808 (December 24, 2011, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm sure there are many good (albeit horrible misguided...) people that work for the RIAA, but that's not an excuse to cut-them-a-break. The SOPA is an incredible dangerous piece of legislation that requires a crystal clear message. We The People, will not tolerate the further weakening (and destruction) of the Constitution.

A bad idea is just that. A bad idea. And the SOPA is a bad idea. Any mercy shown will only give rise to the perception that maybe it just needs a better spin, or a more subtle pitch/insertion. The corporations need to be fearful of the people ... Not the other way around, which is where it's headed. An example must be made.
-Stoic Joker (December 24, 2011, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dammit... You just make too much sense...

In light of recent legislation that has turned the US into a police state (NDAA 2012), I think that you're right. A message needs to be sent. "You can't walk down the path of evil and hope to get away with it, and when you don't, fake some crocodile tears. You need to behave ethically to start with."

Incidentally, I just posted on the topic of right/wrong here. It's remotely related to this discussion in a very abstract way.

Stoic Joker:
Pulling out says that there is no forgiveness... But, it also says to other companies that they had better not go down that path to start with...-Renegade (December 24, 2011, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Spoilerso some people are on a traditional tour of the irish countryside. their driver, seamus, is more than happy to explain to them the involvement he had in creating each of the stops they visit.

"ya see that wall over there?" he says..
"built it with me own two hands...but do they call me seamus the wall builder? noooo"

they drive down the road a bit....

"ya see that house over there?"
"built it with me own two hands...but do they call me seamus the house builder?"
"noooo"

a little further down.....

"ya see that castle over there?"
"built it with me own two hands...but do they call me seamus the castle builder?"
"noooo"

"but you fuck one little sheep..."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version