ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support

<< < (3/11) > >>

Renegade:
India is going to follow the same footsteps and opting for a bill that protects religious sentiments. So it's okay for religious people to say "infidels should burn in hell" but you as a non-believer have no rights to lift a finger on them,It's a word of god ofcourse to create non-believer product and then asking believer product to save that  lost soul from going into dustbin, makes sense. This is no different than SOPA, as we already have politicians controlling RIM, Google and Facebook to control any random content going from india to pakistan or iraq.
-mahesh2k (December 23, 2011, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

It infuriates me how bad policy in the US seems to get exported... Monkey see... monkey do...

@Renegade, I'm searching for european hosts as of now so I'll update thread for alternative to US hosts.
-mahesh2k (December 23, 2011, 01:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! Do post back. :D

Please note that I am not interested in any services hosted by any UK company though. I don't see the UK as significantly different from the US. They're turning into a police state the same way the US is. Heck, they've labeled students as terrorists... Like WTF?

I don't know much about continental Europe though... My gut is telling me that anywhere in the "west" is likely to be suspect though... The news there about India is very disconcerting though... It seems the disease is widespread.

nosh:
It infuriates me how bad policy in the US seems to get exported... Monkey see... monkey do...
--- End quote ---

I'm offended, man! You don't give Indian politicians enough credit to be assholes all by themselves.

BTW Mahesh, I hope you aren't buying the "religious sentiments" line. It's a way to get a toehold into the machinery for future political censorship, pure & simple.

Disclaimer: 3 shots down.

mahesh2k:
@Renegade, I'm not going to opt for UK host because they have their own version of ACTA which is foster sister of SOPA. So I'm searching for hosts in other parts of EU.

@Nosh, I'm buying everything these days that indian politicians throw at us. This "anti-religious" bill is pending for quite sometime for unknown reason. You do know that all the parties are against passing bill that says "Legal action against superstitious beliefs". In MH, that bill is already on hold. As for suppressing political censorship, I agree that was the motive behind for lefties but righties are supporting this bill for their own agenda. If SOPA gets passed in US, It'll not take time for indians to pass our very own version of it.

40hz:
Please note that I am not interested in any services hosted by any UK company though. I don't see the UK as significantly different from the US. They're turning into a police state the same way the US is.
-Renegade (December 23, 2011, 03:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Ren - Don't mean to rain on your parade, but most of the world is turning into a police state if it hasn't already. We've entered the Age of Expedience. And our data links go everywhere. So geographic boundaries and national borders are no longer meaningful when it comes to political policies and agendas.

But maybe that's because all the corporations with real clout are multinationals?

"Global Village." (Fear it!) 8)

iphigenie:
Most of my domains moved from godaddy years ago except for a few ones. I must say though that their admin tools are pretty good.

I ran an agency for years we interfaced directly with nominet and opensrs and even back then domains' cost price to us was cheap. So charging $19.99 like some do (or $35 like nominet does) is a tad silly unless there is a lot of added value (dyndns might have added value)

I currently have many domains in the UK with daily (http://www.daily.co.uk) which has reasonable prices, reasonably good interface, and actually has support people that come across as people.
I also have a bunch on gandi and I have had no problems with them. Haven't used their hosting or any other services, but domain name registration comes with included minimal blog hosting, kind of cute :). And they are clued up.

If you are moving domains that have active services, be very careful that everything is set up right to avoid loss of access

- godaddy does allow you to have dns set up for domains that arent registered with them, which should allow you to keep the DNS set up there for a while after the transfer. (I am not sure if it needs a hosting account for this to work, but it is probably worth buying 1 month at 4.99 to prevent issues). That way you keep your NS records pointing to godaddy until everything has transfered and you have configured your new DNS

- some transfers are capable of copying the DNS setup automatically but this depends on a lot of factors (your existing DNS allowing the info to be accessed for zone transfers, for one)

- use a third party DNS service to be independent of registrar. For example I use fastmail for email and they can act as DNS for domains. I also use xname.org (with donation!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version