ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support

(1/11) > >>

Paul Keith:
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/nmnie/godaddy_supports_sopa_im_transferring_51_domains/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/godaddy-faces-december-29-boycott-over-sopa-support.ars

Hmm...I guess title says it all. Some notable comments are discussions regarding elephant hunting by the GoDaddy CEO.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20049362-71.html

One commentor said:

Upon some basic investigation, the elephant hunting in the way it was done in the Youtube video appears to be done in favour of the villagers. The issue seems to be that the elephants will come in and crush the crops of the villagers, so it's a practice there to selectively cull an elephant, and this activity is open to visitors.

I'm not suggesting this guy is not a douchebag of the highest order, but it does look like there's two sides that story in whether he was in the wrong to shoot the elephant.

And at the same time, I guess Jobs and Gates are a bit more selective in their choice of philanthropic activity.

--- End quote ---

Also Namecheap is the popular alternative and they have codes including the old BYEBYEGD and the new SOPASucks + another one called XMASJOY.

Another user also posted this big set of links:

Namecheap is just a reseller of Enom so I'm not sure why you might want to go there. You could go with a registar directly, here is a list of good ones:

www.pairnic.com - Pair.com's domain registrar, excellent company. Supports OSS and the environment.
www.dynadot.com - Excellent company with an amazing interface.
www.name.com - Good comany out of colorado.
www.gandi.net - French company, support is ho-hum.
www.hover.com - Candian registrar of tucows/opensrs
www.dyndns.com - Yes dyndns can register domains
www.internet.bs - Cheap, off-shore (bahamas) domain registration.

Wow didn't expect this to get popular, let me add a few others:
www.easydns.com - Canadian, great support. Even the owner Mark works on support cases.
www.dd24.net - Germany, good selection of domains and registrar for TPB
www.joker.com - Have heard some good things and some bad.
www.domainnameshop.com - Out of Norway, very friendly support.

Renegade:
Thanks.

I think I'll be switching from GoDaddy as soon as I'm able to/have time. I've been with them for years, and they've been very good, but I'm simply not down with police states, censorship, suppression of free speech, or any of that nonsense.

Can some other people please chime in with personal recommendations for different registrars?

I have a large number of domains, and would like to transfer them as painlessly as possible. I don't want to have to redo DNS for every domain if I don't have to, so that's probably my #1 technical concern.

Stoic Joker:
I've been with DomainDirect (now Hover.com) for years, and have always gotten great service. The DNS thing is unavoidable, but Hover gives you complete and easy access to all the DNS records. They also push to root in realtime...So propagation=Zoom!

Renegade:
Thanks SJ.

I've just emailed a fellow I know there to ask about their policies regarding SOPA and whatnot. I suppose I'd feel safer being registered in Canada, but god knows that Ottawa takes one up the poop-chute every now and then from Washington D.C.

It's at the point now that I'm thinking about ditching SoftLayer for no other reason than that they are in the US. (I don't want to derail this discussion, but if anyone can recommend an excellent host that is OUTSIDE the US, I'd appreciate it.) I'm simply sick and tired of the downward spiral into the police state there. I already don't voice what I really think about some things, but I'd at least like to be able to post those rants if I wanted to. At the moment, I don't think that I could.

rgdot:
Canada, believe me I live here, is traveling down similar path. I have heard good things about gandi but have to admit 90% of my stuff are at namecheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version