ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support

<< < (4/11) > >>

Renegade:
Please note that I am not interested in any services hosted by any UK company though. I don't see the UK as significantly different from the US. They're turning into a police state the same way the US is.
-Renegade (December 23, 2011, 03:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Ren - Don't mean to rain on your parade, but most of the world is turning into a police state if it hasn't already. We've entered the Age of Expedience. And our data links go everywhere. So geographic boundaries and national borders are no longer meaningful when it comes to political policies and agendas.

But maybe that's because all the corporations with real clout are multinationals?

"Global Village." (Fear it!) 8)

-40hz (December 23, 2011, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah... I know... But I'd like to find some place that's less "policey" and less douchey than the US.

Politically charged with pro love
I've lived in places where rights were restricted, but everyone knew it. There were clear laws. There was no illusion of absolute free speech. I don't mind that. I'm OK with most of that. I know where I stand there. I know what I can/cannot do. I know the limits.

With the US? It's a free for all. You don't know what is illegal anymore. You can be arrested for any reason at all. You can be executed for any reason. Tortured. God knows what. I'm not OK with that.

One time I was approached because one of my faculty had accessed a web site that was illegal for political reasons and that had come to the attention of the national intelligence agency. I smoothed things over and brought it up with the faculty, but it was still very chilling.

I used to sit around and drink with spooks. They were some very nice people. Tight lipped about a lot of things, but open about many others.

Really, I just want to move to somewhere that I can publish without fear.

BELLIGERENT.ME Announcement
Oh, perhaps this is a good time to announce...

I bought BELLIGERENT.ME for the sole purpose of being belligerent against tyrrany. e.g. SOPA, etc. etc.

I'm currently (slowly) trying to recruit a few people to help out with the site. There are some very simple conditions:

* Pro freedom
* Pro liberty
* Pro free speech
* Pro not killing people
* Pro tolerance
* Anti war
* Anti hate (except for hating obvious things like hating tyrrany/the police state/etc.)
* Anti bigotry

If anyone is interested, PM me or email me (my email address is very easy to find).

I'm in the planning stages now. I've got 2 people on board now. 1 is from here on DC - someone that I have a great amount of respect for.

Peace, love, and eternal groovieness~! :D

nosh:
I used to sit around and drink with spooks. They were some very nice people. Tight lipped about a lot of things, but open about many others.
--- End quote ---

You've led an interesting life. :)

wraith808:
SpoilerI used to sit around and drink with spooks. They were some very nice people. Tight lipped about a lot of things, but open about many others.
-Renegade (December 23, 2011, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can't blame them though; they still are some very nice people.  It's just that the rules have changed- part of the reason is the nature of terrorism, but the other part is the pressure for nothing else to happen while someone is shining a light and taking you to task on every tactic.  Not all of them use the same tactics, and most of them respect the rule of law.  It's the same thing as everywhere else- it's the bureaucrats.  And until the citizens are willing to take the government to task for everything that is happening, the citizens won't make a difference, no matter who is in office.  Voting is like any other tool- it only matters if it is used correctly.  And because of the two party system, our media, and our lobby system, that's been broken for a while.  It's just becoming more obvious.

berry:
Victory! Boycott forces GoDaddy to drop its support for SOPA
By Timothy B. Lee | Published about 4 hours ago

Under intense pressure from an Internet-wide boycott, domain registrar GoDaddy has given the open Internet an early Christmas present: it's dropping its support for the Stop Online Piracy Act. The change was announced in a statement sent to Ars Technica:

Go Daddy is no longer supporting SOPA, the "Stop Online Piracy Act" currently working its way through U.S. Congress.

"Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation—but we can clearly do better," Warren Adelman, Go Daddy's newly appointed CEO, said. "It's very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."

Renegade:
Victory! Boycott forces GoDaddy to drop its support for SOPA
By Timothy B. Lee | Published about 4 hours ago

Under intense pressure from an Internet-wide boycott, domain registrar GoDaddy has given the open Internet an early Christmas present: it's dropping its support for the Stop Online Piracy Act. The change was announced in a statement sent to Ars Technica:

Go Daddy is no longer supporting SOPA, the "Stop Online Piracy Act" currently working its way through U.S. Congress.

"Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation—but we can clearly do better," Warren Adelman, Go Daddy's newly appointed CEO, said. "It's very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."
-berry (December 23, 2011, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Woohoo~! ;D

A win for sanity~! :D

At Techcrunch:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/23/godaddy-no-longer-supports-sopa/

For those who somehow missed it: after GoDaddy publicly stated their support for SOPA yesterday morning, a colossal chunk of the Internet (read: the chunk that understands how the Internet works) began to rally. There were no torches or pitchforks here; the only weapons here were wallets, all being carried off in another direction.
--- End quote ---

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version