topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support  (Read 36145 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:58 PM »
http://www.reddit.co...sferring_51_domains/

http://arstechnica.c...ver-sopa-support.ars

Hmm...I guess title says it all. Some notable comments are discussions regarding elephant hunting by the GoDaddy CEO.

http://news.cnet.com...2_3-20049362-71.html

One commentor said:

Upon some basic investigation, the elephant hunting in the way it was done in the Youtube video appears to be done in favour of the villagers. The issue seems to be that the elephants will come in and crush the crops of the villagers, so it's a practice there to selectively cull an elephant, and this activity is open to visitors.

I'm not suggesting this guy is not a douchebag of the highest order, but it does look like there's two sides that story in whether he was in the wrong to shoot the elephant.

And at the same time, I guess Jobs and Gates are a bit more selective in their choice of philanthropic activity.

Also Namecheap is the popular alternative and they have codes including the old BYEBYEGD and the new SOPASucks + another one called XMASJOY.

Another user also posted this big set of links:

Namecheap is just a reseller of Enom so I'm not sure why you might want to go there. You could go with a registar directly, here is a list of good ones:

www.pairnic.com - Pair.com's domain registrar, excellent company. Supports OSS and the environment.
www.dynadot.com - Excellent company with an amazing interface.
www.name.com - Good comany out of colorado.
www.gandi.net - French company, support is ho-hum.
www.hover.com - Candian registrar of tucows/opensrs
www.dyndns.com - Yes dyndns can register domains
www.internet.bs - Cheap, off-shore (bahamas) domain registration.

Wow didn't expect this to get popular, let me add a few others:
www.easydns.com - Canadian, great support. Even the owner Mark works on support cases.
www.dd24.net - Germany, good selection of domains and registrar for TPB
www.joker.com - Have heard some good things and some bad.
www.domainnameshop.com - Out of Norway, very friendly support.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Reddit Leaving GoDaddy because of SOPA Support
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Thanks.

I think I'll be switching from GoDaddy as soon as I'm able to/have time. I've been with them for years, and they've been very good, but I'm simply not down with police states, censorship, suppression of free speech, or any of that nonsense.

Can some other people please chime in with personal recommendations for different registrars?

I have a large number of domains, and would like to transfer them as painlessly as possible. I don't want to have to redo DNS for every domain if I don't have to, so that's probably my #1 technical concern.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I've been with DomainDirect (now Hover.com) for years, and have always gotten great service. The DNS thing is unavoidable, but Hover gives you complete and easy access to all the DNS records. They also push to root in realtime...So propagation=Zoom!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Thanks SJ.

I've just emailed a fellow I know there to ask about their policies regarding SOPA and whatnot. I suppose I'd feel safer being registered in Canada, but god knows that Ottawa takes one up the poop-chute every now and then from Washington D.C.

It's at the point now that I'm thinking about ditching SoftLayer for no other reason than that they are in the US. (I don't want to derail this discussion, but if anyone can recommend an excellent host that is OUTSIDE the US, I'd appreciate it.) I'm simply sick and tired of the downward spiral into the police state there. I already don't voice what I really think about some things, but I'd at least like to be able to post those rants if I wanted to. At the moment, I don't think that I could.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Canada, believe me I live here, is traveling down similar path. I have heard good things about gandi but have to admit 90% of my stuff are at namecheap.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Canada, believe me I live here, is traveling down similar path. I have heard good things about gandi but have to admit 90% of my stuff are at namecheap.

Sigh... :(

Can I say that I'm proud to be Canadian? Well...

:P

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:53 PM »
I have been using idotz.net for a long time and I am very happy with them. They are owned by BRS Media, a San Fransisco company that is very friendly and supportive to independent internet radio. They also accept Paypal.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:14 PM »

Good old 80s  :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15 PM »
I have been using idotz.net for a long time and I am very happy with them. They are owned by BRS Media, a San Fransisco company that is very friendly and supportive to independent internet radio. They also accept Paypal.

Thanks for the recommendation there. I think that I'm just going to completely get out of the US as much as possible though.

Maybe if Ron Paul wins next year, then I'd want to return as I think he can sort out the nuttiness and return to sanity.

Good old 80s  :D

They're still my favourite band! :D

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 01:06 AM »
India is going to follow the same footsteps and opting for a bill that protects religious sentiments. So it's okay for religious people to say "infidels should burn in hell" but you as a non-believer have no rights to lift a finger on them,It's a word of god ofcourse to create non-believer product and then asking believer product to save that  lost soul from going into dustbin, makes sense. This is no different than SOPA, as we already have politicians controlling RIM, Google and Facebook to control any random content going from india to pakistan or iraq.

@Renegade, I'm searching for european hosts as of now so I'll update thread for alternative to US hosts.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 03:03 AM »
India is going to follow the same footsteps and opting for a bill that protects religious sentiments. So it's okay for religious people to say "infidels should burn in hell" but you as a non-believer have no rights to lift a finger on them,It's a word of god ofcourse to create non-believer product and then asking believer product to save that  lost soul from going into dustbin, makes sense. This is no different than SOPA, as we already have politicians controlling RIM, Google and Facebook to control any random content going from india to pakistan or iraq.

It infuriates me how bad policy in the US seems to get exported... Monkey see... monkey do...

@Renegade, I'm searching for european hosts as of now so I'll update thread for alternative to US hosts.

Thanks! Do post back. :D

Please note that I am not interested in any services hosted by any UK company though. I don't see the UK as significantly different from the US. They're turning into a police state the same way the US is. Heck, they've labeled students as terrorists... Like WTF?

I don't know much about continental Europe though... My gut is telling me that anywhere in the "west" is likely to be suspect though... The news there about India is very disconcerting though... It seems the disease is widespread.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 03:54 AM »
It infuriates me how bad policy in the US seems to get exported... Monkey see... monkey do...

I'm offended, man! You don't give Indian politicians enough credit to be assholes all by themselves.

BTW Mahesh, I hope you aren't buying the "religious sentiments" line. It's a way to get a toehold into the machinery for future political censorship, pure & simple.

Disclaimer: 3 shots down.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 05:29 AM »
@Renegade, I'm not going to opt for UK host because they have their own version of ACTA which is foster sister of SOPA. So I'm searching for hosts in other parts of EU.

@Nosh, I'm buying everything these days that indian politicians throw at us. This "anti-religious" bill is pending for quite sometime for unknown reason. You do know that all the parties are against passing bill that says "Legal action against superstitious beliefs". In MH, that bill is already on hold. As for suppressing political censorship, I agree that was the motive behind for lefties but righties are supporting this bill for their own agenda. If SOPA gets passed in US, It'll not take time for indians to pass our very own version of it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 06:24 AM »
Please note that I am not interested in any services hosted by any UK company though. I don't see the UK as significantly different from the US. They're turning into a police state the same way the US is.

@Ren - Don't mean to rain on your parade, but most of the world is turning into a police state if it hasn't already. We've entered the Age of Expedience. And our data links go everywhere. So geographic boundaries and national borders are no longer meaningful when it comes to political policies and agendas.

But maybe that's because all the corporations with real clout are multinationals?

"Global Village." (Fear it!) 8)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:31 AM by 40hz »

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Most of my domains moved from godaddy years ago except for a few ones. I must say though that their admin tools are pretty good.

I ran an agency for years we interfaced directly with nominet and opensrs and even back then domains' cost price to us was cheap. So charging $19.99 like some do (or $35 like nominet does) is a tad silly unless there is a lot of added value (dyndns might have added value)

I currently have many domains in the UK with daily (http://www.daily.co.uk) which has reasonable prices, reasonably good interface, and actually has support people that come across as people.
I also have a bunch on gandi and I have had no problems with them. Haven't used their hosting or any other services, but domain name registration comes with included minimal blog hosting, kind of cute :). And they are clued up.

If you are moving domains that have active services, be very careful that everything is set up right to avoid loss of access

- godaddy does allow you to have dns set up for domains that arent registered with them, which should allow you to keep the DNS set up there for a while after the transfer. (I am not sure if it needs a hosting account for this to work, but it is probably worth buying 1 month at 4.99 to prevent issues). That way you keep your NS records pointing to godaddy until everything has transfered and you have configured your new DNS

- some transfers are capable of copying the DNS setup automatically but this depends on a lot of factors (your existing DNS allowing the info to be accessed for zone transfers, for one)

- use a third party DNS service to be independent of registrar. For example I use fastmail for email and they can act as DNS for domains. I also use xname.org (with donation!).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Please note that I am not interested in any services hosted by any UK company though. I don't see the UK as significantly different from the US. They're turning into a police state the same way the US is.

@Ren - Don't mean to rain on your parade, but most of the world is turning into a police state if it hasn't already. We've entered the Age of Expedience. And our data links go everywhere. So geographic boundaries and national borders are no longer meaningful when it comes to political policies and agendas.

But maybe that's because all the corporations with real clout are multinationals?

"Global Village." (Fear it!) 8)

Yeah... I know... But I'd like to find some place that's less "policey" and less douchey than the US.

Politically charged with pro love

I've lived in places where rights were restricted, but everyone knew it. There were clear laws. There was no illusion of absolute free speech. I don't mind that. I'm OK with most of that. I know where I stand there. I know what I can/cannot do. I know the limits.

With the US? It's a free for all. You don't know what is illegal anymore. You can be arrested for any reason at all. You can be executed for any reason. Tortured. God knows what. I'm not OK with that.

One time I was approached because one of my faculty had accessed a web site that was illegal for political reasons and that had come to the attention of the national intelligence agency. I smoothed things over and brought it up with the faculty, but it was still very chilling.

I used to sit around and drink with spooks. They were some very nice people. Tight lipped about a lot of things, but open about many others.

Really, I just want to move to somewhere that I can publish without fear.

BELLIGERENT.ME Announcement

Oh, perhaps this is a good time to announce...

I bought BELLIGERENT.ME for the sole purpose of being belligerent against tyrrany. e.g. SOPA, etc. etc.

I'm currently (slowly) trying to recruit a few people to help out with the site. There are some very simple conditions:

* Pro freedom
* Pro liberty
* Pro free speech
* Pro not killing people
* Pro tolerance
* Anti war
* Anti hate (except for hating obvious things like hating tyrrany/the police state/etc.)
* Anti bigotry

If anyone is interested, PM me or email me (my email address is very easy to find).

I'm in the planning stages now. I've got 2 people on board now. 1 is from here on DC - someone that I have a great amount of respect for.

Peace, love, and eternal groovieness~! :D

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 07:52 AM »
I used to sit around and drink with spooks. They were some very nice people. Tight lipped about a lot of things, but open about many others.

You've led an interesting life. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Spoiler

You can't blame them though; they still are some very nice people.  It's just that the rules have changed- part of the reason is the nature of terrorism, but the other part is the pressure for nothing else to happen while someone is shining a light and taking you to task on every tactic.  Not all of them use the same tactics, and most of them respect the rule of law.  It's the same thing as everywhere else- it's the bureaucrats.  And until the citizens are willing to take the government to task for everything that is happening, the citizens won't make a difference, no matter who is in office.  Voting is like any other tool- it only matters if it is used correctly.  And because of the two party system, our media, and our lobby system, that's been broken for a while.  It's just becoming more obvious.

berry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Victory! Boycott forces GoDaddy to drop its support for SOPA
By Timothy B. Lee | Published about 4 hours ago

Under intense pressure from an Internet-wide boycott, domain registrar GoDaddy has given the open Internet an early Christmas present: it's dropping its support for the Stop Online Piracy Act. The change was announced in a statement sent to Ars Technica:

Go Daddy is no longer supporting SOPA, the "Stop Online Piracy Act" currently working its way through U.S. Congress.

"Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation—but we can clearly do better," Warren Adelman, Go Daddy's newly appointed CEO, said. "It's very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Victory! Boycott forces GoDaddy to drop its support for SOPA
By Timothy B. Lee | Published about 4 hours ago

Under intense pressure from an Internet-wide boycott, domain registrar GoDaddy has given the open Internet an early Christmas present: it's dropping its support for the Stop Online Piracy Act. The change was announced in a statement sent to Ars Technica:

Go Daddy is no longer supporting SOPA, the "Stop Online Piracy Act" currently working its way through U.S. Congress.

"Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation—but we can clearly do better," Warren Adelman, Go Daddy's newly appointed CEO, said. "It's very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."

Woohoo~! ;D

A win for sanity~! :D

At Techcrunch:

http://techcrunch.co...onger-supports-sopa/

For those who somehow missed it: after GoDaddy publicly stated their support for SOPA yesterday morning, a colossal chunk of the Internet (read: the chunk that understands how the Internet works) began to rally. There were no torches or pitchforks here; the only weapons here were wallets, all being carried off in another direction.

;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Just got an answer from TuCows. They pointed me here:

https://twitter.com/#!/tucows/status/136637887608397824

Short version - They're some of the good guys. :D

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:29 PM by Renegade »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Among the other good guys, the people over at YouPorn:

Copy & paste as I'm not linking to porn here --> blog.youporn.com/stop-sopa-stop-internet-censorship/

What it really comes down to is: Are you willing to put absolute control of the Internet into the hands of the US Government and a select few entertainment industry corporations? I know I’m not, YouPorn sure as hell isn’t, the entire PornHub Network isn’t, and the hundreds of thousands of companies and people that have joined the cause? You can bet your ass they don’t.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 02:09 AM »
Please keep the boycott going
http://www.reddit.co..._sopa_flipflop_is_a/

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 02:46 AM »
The list of companies who support SOPA is a long list to boycott - all the IP and counterfeight crowds but also a lot of strange bedfellows there

PS: moving domains that have live, active services is as much risk and inconvenience as changing one's phone - don't rush it (see my links in previous posts for pointers how to keep the DNS settings while transfering)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:52 AM by iphigenie »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 05:39 AM »
Please keep the boycott going
http://www.reddit.co..._sopa_flipflop_is_a/

Hmmm... I'm waffling... I like forgiveness and redemption... Not sure if it's just PR whoredom on GoDaddy's part or not... If they're genuine, then that's one thing... Not sure yet...

But like why would they ever get behind something that insane to begin with? Baffled...  :huh: