topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Go back to 98 drag-and-drop in Win-Explorer  (Read 6010 times)

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Go back to 98 drag-and-drop in Win-Explorer
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Drag and drop in Windows Explorer was much better in Windows 98.  In XP, it has a tendency, when dropping a file into a folder (in the left panel: folder tree), to keep a the incorrect folder highlighted even though the mouse is directly over the folder you want to drop the file into.  Is there any way to get rid of this anomaly?  Some go-back-to-98 drag and drop registry edit?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Go back to 98 drag-and-drop in Win-Explorer
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:27 PM »
I never use the Tree on the left in Explorer.  I do some "one window" drag and drop operations using http://qttabbar.sourceforge.net/

It adds tabs to Explorer. I get the tab of the destination folder to show, go to the source tab and drag the files onto the destination tab. I don't use that method unless the destination has no subfolders. I hate it when stuff "disappears" after your drop it. But for circumstances where the target is the terminal folder it works fine.

Also for 32 bit Windows especially, I've been using FreeCommander for years.

http://www.freecomma....com/fc_downl_en.htm

But Explorer has the advantage of being in ram all the time.  The QTTabBar addon seems solid and doesn't slow it down that I can tell.

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:03 AM »
I think of the folder tree as a whole bunch of little tabs, and I'm quite happy with it.  I didn't have any "disappears"ing problems until XP, and then I learned to make sure and over-correct my aim to get the right folder to highlight.  It just takes longer, not a big hastle, but I like making my system completely streamlined and working just the way I like (which is why I posted).  Whatever works for you is good.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Try Windows Seven. Maybe it's better.

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 01:40 PM »
 I didn't want to leave 98.  Now I don't want to leave XP.  Windows 7?  You have to be kidding.  How about Linux?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 03:21 PM »
I didn't want to leave 98.  Now I don't want to leave XP.  Windows 7?  You have to be kidding.  How about Linux?
Then what made you leave?  If you are adamantly against changing to Windows 7 (or even XP for that matter), why do it?  Computing is the epitome of change, and Linux is the most constantly evolving of all the OS's out there.  If you don't like the changes, then Linux is definitely NOT for you.

If you are changing computers and the reason for change is hardware driver support (as I suspect) then get a copy of VMware ESXi or XenServer and install your chosen OS in the virtual machine.  You won't get native access to everything, but pretty close, and you can keep the same VM for as long as you desire independent of the hardware you run on (as long as it supports Virtualization Technologies).  If you wait till Windows 8 - despite what we hear and, perhaps, see - it will come with Microsoft's version of ESXi (called HyperV) where you should be able to install any OS there and pretty much ignore Windows 8 beyond that if that is an option for you (though I do suggest VMware as a more mature option).  And as a bonus, you can have multiple operating systems on the same machine and choose whichever one you want at any time without rebooting (unlike multiboot options where you have to shutdown and restart to change OS's).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Many file managers have the folder tree on the left. Perhaps you can find a free one that's better behaved than explorer.  I like FreeCommander.  But as I mentioned, I don't use the drag to tree technique so I can't tell you from experience if it works better or worse than Explorer.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Just a warning for Linux, there are certain lengths and illegal characters that Linux file managers can allow that the File Manager of XP can't. Not sure about Win7. I haven't found a solution for this except to switch to a LiveCD for those files.

Highly annoying too as I don't know how to write a request for it as the errors are common errors except they work in Linux.

As far as folder tree, I forgot how Win98 works but almost every free alternative has a tree but tabs are just far superior for accuracy. Also folder tree has gone a long away. In NexusFile, folder tree means a full depth screen of every folder and subfolders where as UltraExplorer has custom columns and DropStacks. You could check those out.

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 07:40 AM »
Then what made you leave?  If you are adamantly against changing to Windows 7 (or even XP for that matter), why do it?  Computing is the epitome of change, and Linux is the most constantly evolving of all the OS's out there.  If you don't like the changes, then Linux is definitely NOT for you.
I fail to see how Linux involves more change, and there's so many distributions that you can get whatever you want.
Anyway, I switch systems because my IT clients are forced to switch systems (because they use whatever comes with their purchase).  Since I want to support them, I use whatever they use.  If consumers had there way, they would stick with what is familiar and not upgrade unless there was a compelling reason to do so.
If you are changing computers and the reason for change is hardware driver support (as I suspect) then get a copy of VMware ESXi or XenServer ...
Sure, I like running a virtual machine inside of a virtual machine, inside of another, on a layer of common controls, on top of the net framework, on top of java, inside of flash.  It runs so super-duper fast!    >:(

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Just a warning for Linux, there are certain lengths and illegal characters that Linux file managers can allow that the File Manager of XP can't...
thanks
As far as folder tree, I forgot how Win98 works but almost every free alternative has a tree but tabs are just far superior for accuracy...
I've gone the route of adding shell extensions to explorer, rather than replace it.  I used Directory Opus for a while, and didn't find any feature for me that would make me want to switch.  I also liked 2xExplorer and Explorer^2, but I just stick with Win Explorer.
Also folder tree has gone a long away. In NexusFile, folder tree means a full depth screen of every folder and subfolders where as UltraExplorer has custom columns and DropStacks.
Perhaps someday I will, thanks.  I'm too busy making a stripped down version of Windows 7 for system reinstalls, that will be dual booting with Linux Mint (or Puppy for slower computers).