ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Go back to 98 drag-and-drop in Win-Explorer

(1/2) > >>

mraeryceos:
Drag and drop in Windows Explorer was much better in Windows 98.  In XP, it has a tendency, when dropping a file into a folder (in the left panel: folder tree), to keep a the incorrect folder highlighted even though the mouse is directly over the folder you want to drop the file into.  Is there any way to get rid of this anomaly?  Some go-back-to-98 drag and drop registry edit?

MilesAhead:
I never use the Tree on the left in Explorer.  I do some "one window" drag and drop operations using http://qttabbar.sourceforge.net/

It adds tabs to Explorer. I get the tab of the destination folder to show, go to the source tab and drag the files onto the destination tab. I don't use that method unless the destination has no subfolders. I hate it when stuff "disappears" after your drop it. But for circumstances where the target is the terminal folder it works fine.

Also for 32 bit Windows especially, I've been using FreeCommander for years.

http://www.freecommander.com/fc_downl_en.htm

But Explorer has the advantage of being in ram all the time.  The QTTabBar addon seems solid and doesn't slow it down that I can tell.

mraeryceos:
I think of the folder tree as a whole bunch of little tabs, and I'm quite happy with it.  I didn't have any "disappears"ing problems until XP, and then I learned to make sure and over-correct my aim to get the right folder to highlight.  It just takes longer, not a big hastle, but I like making my system completely streamlined and working just the way I like (which is why I posted).  Whatever works for you is good.

MilesAhead:
Try Windows Seven. Maybe it's better.

mraeryceos:
 I didn't want to leave 98.  Now I don't want to leave XP.  Windows 7?  You have to be kidding.  How about Linux?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version