topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Media player and system volume  (Read 5380 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Media player and system volume
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:23 AM »
Hi,

I normally use Media Player Classic to play video.

While watching video, if I mute sound, change volume level (normally this means the WAV volume level is changed), the program actually achieves volume adjustment by adjusting my system volume. What frustrate me a lot is, it never restores my system volume levels as when the program is started. So I must manually adjust the volume level back after I close the player.

Is there any video player which won't change my system volume even if I adjust volume level while watching movie with it?
Or alternatively, is there any utility that I can run to restore my system volume to some preset levels (say something I save in a config file)?

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Media player and system volume
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:31 AM »
Do you run media player classic from a shortcut, or do you run it by double-clicking on media files?

If you do the first, I think an autohotkey script can do the job.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 06:13 AM »
Do you run media player classic from a shortcut, or do you run it by double-clicking on media files?

Both.
But I would say I normally double-click on a media file.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51 AM »

If you have a working AHK script, you could make it the default opening behavior for double-clicking on .wav files and cover both options.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:55 AM »
If you have a working AHK script, you could make it the default opening behavior for double-clicking on .wav files and cover both options.

I can envisage a AHK script using soundget and soundset, but I don't know how to make it run by double-clicking on any file type? Any tips?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01 AM »
the program actually achieves volume adjustment by adjusting my system volume

This is very odd as I've NEVER had MPC adjust the system volume.  It's always adjusted its own internal volume.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Under View, Options, Playback, Output, Audio Renderer:  Change it to System Default and see if that solves things.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17 PM »
the program actually achieves volume adjustment by adjusting my system volume

This is very odd as I've NEVER had MPC adjust the system volume.  It's always adjusted its own internal volume.

Under View, Options, Playback, Output, Audio Renderer:  Change it to System Default and see if that solves things.

I am not familiar with how MPC work internally, but isn't it suppose to not tuning my system volume levels for whatever audio render choice I made?

In fact, my PC has onboard audio and a Creative Sound card both active and each takes care of their own speaker set. One of the set of speaker I only switch on while watching DTS movies wherelse the other set of speaker is my day to day use PC audio output. So, as you can see, if I stick to MPC as my player, my Audio Render can not be a fix one, I need to switch it between my movie watching session and normal PC working session.

I have just solved the above problem:
I create an AutoIt (script base) exe which always adjust back my Wav level to 65%, I then have MacroExpress auto run the exe every time MPC is closing.

Just to share my experience in MacroExpress with everyone here: I have been a user of MacroExpress for many years, recently I have upgraded to its PRO version. It has features to adjust most of the system volume except for Wav... Sarcastically, I have to resort to a freeware scripting program...

I dislike MacroExpress Pro's way of accepting user suggestion and  dislike very very much their hostile user forum.