topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: USB Network adaptors  (Read 2958 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USB Network adaptors
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:32 AM »
Are USB to Ethernet type adapters reliable?  I have a D-Link similar to a DUB-E100 here that I believe is causing the computer to run slow.  Do these typically run slower than a direct connection into the computer's NIC?

the computer is running Vista Home Premuim 32 bit on a HP 6830S laptop.

any ideas?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: USB Network adaptors
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:29 AM »
My experience is that built-in and PCI-based NICs are faster and more reliable than their USB counterparts. Although it's gotten better, I still am not a big fan of USB for some categories of peripheral. My rule of thumb is to prefer any connection over USB if it's something that stays plugged in and is in constant use (i.e. a NIC). For some weird reason, USB doesn't appear to like being kept as a persistent port assignment. Can't prove it since I never did any real scientific testing. But it does seem as though many USB connections experience more problems the longer they're left in. Probably more a flaw in the design of the devices themselves rather than the USB spec. Many USB implementations are done pretty half-assed on the cheaper devices.

Sometimes switching the jack a USB NIC is plugged into helps. (I'd try this first.) Also don't plug a USB NIC into a hub. That often causes oddball problems. USB NICs should always be plugged directly into the PC on their own connection.

You could also try running one of those USB utilities that gets rid of "necro" USB port assignments to clean out any junked up settings that may be causing errors or overhead. Remove all your USB goodies, zap the assignments, reboot, then replug everything in one at a time to let the internal ports get reassigned.

Luck. :Thmbsup:

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Thanks, 40 for the info.  the device is plugged into a switch.  This particular laptop is on a network where the internet comes through one cable and the internal network is on a another cable.  I keep forgetting to check but I suspicion that the internal network is on the built in NIC on the computer.  the internet comes through the USB device.  The other two computers on this network are desktops with 2 NICS and they rarely have the problems that the laptop does.

Since I didn't install this network, I am going to have to go in and check termination of cables, how the two switches are connected, etc.. 

They have experience some slowness running Quickbooks 2011 Pro on their network. 

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:19 PM »
FWIW, I've had good luck with Netgear USB network adapters.

berry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Probably too many variables in this equation because I've had better luck with "n" usb adapters than with ide cards, but it's probably based on brands, etc more than the actual technology of usb versus ide.