ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fileforum.Betanews alternative

(1/3) > >>

Midnight Rambler:
Depended on http://fileforum.betanews.com/ automatic email alerts to track software updates on my program watch list but they've apparently discontinued that service.

Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

Josh:
I've been looking for something similar. Unforunately, the only service which comes close to that, and actually surpasses it in terms of number of programs monitored, is the CNET TechTracker.

Midnight Rambler:
Thanks for the TechTracker tip.  Since it works by scanning the software installed on user's computer and alerts user when updates are available, it seems to be a variant of Secunia PSI which has served me very well.

Beauty of F.B was that nothing needed to be installed.  User simply added programs to wish list on site and was notified of updates.

From the lack of responses so far, there appears to be no real alternative.  Guess F.B business model wasn't profitable.

Josh:
They really have turned into an advertisement delivery engine vice a real content site. Most of the "reviews" of products appear to be from paying advertisers, not that they are this is just my opinion. They are posting reviews to products which go against the primary audience of the site. Example, they recently posted a review of a "registry optimizer", which any tech worth his salt knows causes far more issues than it helps.

If you find any alternatives, please let me know.

Midnight Rambler:
Received multiple software update notices today from "[email protected]."  Couldn't believe it.  They're so darn handy that can't help but hope they're really back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version