ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SATA III - performance

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ath:
Well, they're at least tested and compatible with that type of connection ;)

4wd:
Thanks - apart from marketing hype it does make you wonder what the point of SATA III is really when it comes to mechanical drives.-Carol Haynes (December 19, 2011, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can be happy knowing that the 100kB text file you're loading from the HDD internal buffer is happening at 6Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s...that's assuming it's in the buffer of course.  :D

Carol Haynes:
Actually yesterday I copied over 500Gb of data from one drive to another (both SATA III drives on the SATA III interface). Was rather unimpressed with an average transfer rate of around 35Mb/s (IIRC)

4wd:
Actually yesterday I copied over 500Gb of data from one drive to another (both SATA III drives on the SATA III interface). Was rather unimpressed with an average transfer rate of around 35Mb/s (IIRC)-Carol Haynes (December 20, 2011, 04:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow, that's less than half the speed I get copying large files between a WD Green 750GB SATA2, (on a SATA2 i/face), and Samsung 1TB SATA2, (on a SATA3 i/face).  Going the other way is about the same as you get mainly because the 750GB is severely fragmented.

Carol Haynes:
It was an estimate of the average - to start with transfer was running at about 80Mb/s but over such a long copy process it slowed considerably (or at least seemed to). The final rate was under 20Mb/s.

I suppose it could just be the way Windows 7 reports transfer rates - I would have to do more controlled and timed experiments to work out the actual rates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version