ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[SOLVED] Windows XP system clock losing (lots) of time.

(1/4) > >>

4wd:
I wonder if anyone has any ideas with the problem below before I just go ahead and reinstall XP.

I've got a headless XP Pro system that runs the following programs 24/7:

uTorrent - BitTorrent
XAMPP   - Webserver
SABnzbd - Usenet
DNTV Scheduler - DVB-T recorder

It runs no AV and only the basic Windows Firewall, access is via RDP - no programs are executed on it apart from NexusFile for a bit of file management.  I've checked it over using MBAM - nil found.

It's done this for months on end without a problem, (close to two years), but in the last couple of weeks or so Windows has been losing time to the tune of minutes per hour, (eg. just in the last couple of hours, 18 minutes).

I now get it to sync to au.pool.ntp.org every ten minutes, in that time it can lose 2 minutes.

Currently I'm using ClockMon which gives the RTC and system time along with any difference between them - I've set this to check every minute and sync to the RTC if the difference is greater than 100ms.

Task Manager shows the system as being idle pretty much of the time, with the CPU, (AMD 235e), barely hitting 20% at minimum clock, (800MHz), even when capturing two DVB-T streams.

I guess the question is: Anybody got any ideas what kind of process could be stopping interrupts or does anyone know how I can find out?

40hz:
Check the internal CMOS battery. Most likely it's either dead or dying. That's usually what causes that problem.  8)

justice:
I agree

Ath:
It's real hardware, and not a VMWare image running on a virtual host? 'Cause VMWare 'clients' can lose time if the VMWare tools stuff isn't installed or updated when the host is updated to a newer version. If it's not installed, you'd probably lose several hours per day in time though ;)

Battery is most likely cause if it's hardware, like 4wd said.

Stoic Joker:
'nother vote for the CMOS battery. I've run into this one a few times myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version