topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature request / small bug report  (Read 4110 times)

kae99

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature request / small bug report
« on: March 25, 2006, 09:54 AM »
Hi again,
Thanks for your interest in my previous post, I have been playing a little bit with aliases and I have a couple of suggestions:

The most important for me:
1) 'ALIAS MODE'
Problem:
FARR doesn't have a way to know when you are going to search for an alias or a program in your computer (although the user knows it from the beginning) so it keeps searching all your folders after each key press while you are writing the alias name which slows it down, it's unnecessary and a little bit annoying.

Suggestion:
I think that there should be an option to configure a prefix to enable 'alias mode'. In this 'mode', FARR would know that you are writing an alias name and doesn't have to search all your folders after each key press (just aliases names).

Each user could configure the prefix he/she prefers like ':', '>' or a simple space ' '.

For example, with the alias 'search', the user would write ' search' (or ':search').

2) 'ALIAS PASTING'

The first time I tried to paste a preformatted alias, I tried to do it directly in the almighty search field thinking that it would work.
Of course, it didn't :)
Then I found that I had to go to options/groups/right click/paste preformatted alias/paste/ok

IMO it would be nice to be able to paste preformatted alias directly in the search field. It would be a lot faster.

Due that preformatted alias have their own syntax that differs from searches (no ones searches for a number>>>name>-> ...), they could be recognized.

----
Small bug report:
When you go to 'paste preformatted alias' the alias you pasted last time is still there (so, you need to delete it before inserting the new one), it should disappear :)

Thanks again for this gem,
Kae

Bob Meigs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request / small bug report
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 03:44 PM »
You can do that right now.  Just edit your group alias names with the : or whatever. :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature request / small bug report
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 03:46 PM »
welcome bob and kae!

and thanks for the suggestions kae.  i actually like the idea of an optional prefix for aliases that would be a clearer way to say you are talking about an alias.  i will look into fixing the other issues as well.