topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software install monitor.  (Read 11412 times)

dansu92833

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Software install monitor.
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:38 AM »
There are coup software that I recently install and try uninstall coups ago. But I find it did not complete uninstall it.
So its their any software install monitor I can try. So If the uninstall program did not work. Then I can uninstall it by my hand.

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software install monitor.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:39 AM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:44 AM by ha14 »

MrZebulon

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:39 AM »
The best way is to work with snapshots (before-after)

I use Total Uninstall Pro and can recommend it.
http://www.martau.com/

Kind Greetings

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I've been using Revo Uninstaller Pro for that purpose.  Rather than before and after snapshots, which take an inordinate amount of time, Revo tracks and records changes as they are made.  Same result as the snapshots, but much less time involved - on average, Revo increases install time by less than ten (10) percent.  (Yeah, I actually tested clock times  :-[.)  Everything else I've tried scans the [entire] system before the install, does it again after the install.  Those system scans eat up the clock, and that's time that can be put to better use.

dansu92833

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 12:37 AM »
thx I will going to try all the program there. I al give my review next coup days. thx guys.javascript:void(0);

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:41 AM »
Keep us informed.  I always felt snapshots were a kludge.  
Successful real-time monitoring makes more sense, as long as it works.

Keep in mind that automated reversals can have "issues". Say a .dll was overwritten during the install to a newer version, then if it was not saved in a special hold area to come home ... you can not simply delete the new one.  What does Revo try to do ?

Steven

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Haven't yet encountered that situation with Revo, so I cannot really say.  I think it moves replaced files to a protected storage area, but I don't have any hard evidence to that effect.  However, I have looked at the install logs, and they cover a lot of territory you'd not normally expect.  One thing Revo suggests is to run the newly installed program for the first time while the tracking system is still active - not something normally done with snapshots - so it can track changes initially made by the software after installation.  I like that  :Thmbsup:.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:44 PM »
The best way is to work with snapshots (before-after)

I use Total Uninstall Pro and can recommend it.
http://www.martau.com/

Kind Greetings

I am a long time user of TU but I dislike their recent change of upgrade policy... a one year free update? I think it should be a free upgrade within the same major version no of the software.

and

the author is a bit paranoid about forum spammers... all forums in the world got spams, there is no absolute way to block them. I have had difficulty in logging in TU's forum for months. That basically make me give up visiting their user forum to suggest new features and so on.

majoMO

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Successful real-time monitoring makes more sense, as long as it works.

In general it can't handle well when installer needs to reboot. One serious disadvantage with these real-time monitoring app..

Keep in mind that automated reversals can have "issues". Say a .dll was overwritten during the install to a newer version, then if it was not saved in a special hold area to come home ... you can not simply delete the new one.  What does Revo try to do ?

Here the fault is from the installer and/or their own uninstaller. Snapshots based uninstallers don't have any action to modified files - and don't should do that in fact (they aren't backup applications).
ZSoft Uninstaller and Total Uninstall authors always adviced to uninstall firstly using the owner uninstaller. Such step avoids annoyances.

One thing Revo suggests is to run the newly installed program for the first time while the tracking system is still active - not something normally done with snapshots - so it can track changes initially made by the software after installation.  I like that  :Thmbsup:.

With snapshots based uninstallers is always highly recommended to do that also - the uninstall is then exhaustive.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32 PM »
All very cogent points.  But there is still the time element, which can be critical.  And as far as a reboot is concerned, a number of snapshot applications do not cope well.  And several snapshot utils I've used in the past - True was one of 'em, may have changed since then - did not deal well with running the app as part of the snapshot. So far, that has not been an issue with Revo.

I realize this is holy war material, but to date I've seen the best performance out of Revo.  That doesn't mean I've ceased the search for something better  :P.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 06:16 AM »
I realize this is holy war material, but to date I've seen the best performance out of Revo.  That doesn't mean I've ceased the search for something better  :P.

Uninstaller programs are quite easy to compare and if you want to test one feature, you should come up with a result relatively quick and clear, it is either done or fail... no abstraction in between. So I don't find it kind of a believe that one need in order to choose one among them.

If you are only concern about the ability in cleaning or removing installed application, choose Total Uninstall. No other competative program can come close to its capability. The most obvious difference is its performance in creating snapshot. I have switched from other uninstaller to TU mainly because of speed and its excellent report of software uninstallation.

If you are comparing uninstallers which is snapshot base and non-snapshot base, then YES, you ought to "believe" that the latter would work. For me, I find it funny to believe that there is a generic or universal way in cleaning up installed application. Think about it, an installed application has been used for a long time, gone through several upgrades and might be integrated with other newly installed application in certain way... a complex history before you decide to uninstall it... man you have to do a good backup first.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 10:06 PM »
Fresh from BetaNews: 10 tools to remove stubborn Windows applications

#4: Comodo Programs Manager, (Download Crew link), might be suitable but take note they mention it may not run on x64.

Direct link to Comodo' site: Comodo Programs Manager

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:27 AM »
Ashraf at dottech.com just now has an article on Comodo Programs Manager.

http://dottech.org/f...do-programs-manager/

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Running Win7 Ultimate, 64-bit.  Testing Comodo. 

Seems to be working OK, but only tested for a short while, two (2) or three (3) days. 

Since it installs as a service, it pretty well overcomes the shortcomings of both live tracking systems and before and after snapshots, at least in theory. 

One (1) thing it seems to lack is an inventory page listing all changes for a particular install.  There is an inventory page, but it doesn't seem to list everything.  It does, however, list registry changes and install location, as well as source location of the install file. 

Haven't tested the make install feature, as yet.

The Drivers & Services section does not show either an install or an update date - both would be nice to have - nor does it show an install source, which would make it much more informative/helpful when trouble shooting machine/software issues.

The Windows Features is convenient, I suppose, but no more than a convenience.

No updates since installation, so can't speak to the Windows Updates section.

madcoder

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 02:45 AM »
As an alternative you can try Install Monitor (www.mirekusoft.com). It works by monitoring software changes in the background and handles reboots. It includes a contents page with file and registry and an list of autoruns by program.