ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... router recommendations

<< < (4/5) > >>

berry:
Have had a d-link dir-655 for quite some time. Last six months or so, it disconnects whenever a new wireless connection is made. Have to power-off-on reset to reconnect.

Bought a Buffalo WHR-G300N, which was as bad or maybe a little worse.

Just got a ASUS RT-N16 for Christmas, based on a recommendation in another thread. So far, it's been rock solid.

cheers

JavaJones:
Er, Barney, you might want to take a look at the actual "little box" link I put in my post. The box in question is the size of - if not smaller than - most routers and uses similar amounts of power, generating little to no heat. The board is 6 inches square and the case for it is not much bigger. As a bonus it's also more powerful than most consumer-level router hardware. A bit more expensive but not that much really. But again this is only a suggestion for people who are talking about DD-WRT offering lots of power and flexibility on consumer-level routing hardware. I'm just saying if that's your interest/aim, might as well get something like the Alix box and run Pfsense. For your purposes I'd much sooner recommend Tomato.

- Oshyan

40hz:
Er, Barney, you might want to take a look at the actual "little box" link I put in my post. The box in question is the size of - if not smaller than - most routers and uses similar amounts of power, generating little to no heat. The board is 6 inches square and the case for it is not much bigger. As a bonus it's also more powerful than most consumer-level router hardware. A bit more expensive but not that much really. But again this is only a suggestion for people who are talking about DD-WRT offering lots of power and flexibility on consumer-level routing hardware. I'm just saying if that's your interest/aim, might as well get something like the Alix box and run Pfsense. For your purposes I'd much sooner recommend Tomato.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (December 28, 2011, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

@barney - I'll +1 with JJones's entire post above.  :)

@JJ - glad you got back in there with that. I was going to reply but I thought I'd leave it to you since it was your post.  :Thmbsup: ;)

Innuendo:
Not quite so enthusiastic about DD-WRT. With power comes a price - and the potential for glitches.

Unless you need some of the really advanced features DD-WRT provides, I think you're better off with Tomato. Unless you like to get down and play, in which case DD-WRT is a nice big busybox to screw around with. :up:-40hz (December 27, 2011, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I read this passage and got to thinking...when was the last time I even messed with my router so I thought I'd take a peek at DD-WRT's status page and sure enough....Time: 18:31:01 up 177 days...

It'd have been even longer, but earlier this year there was a power outage when a tree fell and wiped out a power line killing juice to the entire neighborhood.

barney:
OK, sorry  :o, I'll take a look.  I automatically assumed - yeah, I know the assume breakdown - that was something like a replaced tower or desktop box  :-[.  Sorry, I'm just not really focused at the moment.  Too many right now things have surfaced.  Difficult to cope with recently emerged schtuff and maintain a somewhat even keel.  On top of that, whilst in the midst of this response, DHL just delivered my ViDock4+.  And I don't dare even unbox it or I'll be lost to productivity for a day and a half  :( :o :P.

I do keep the links in these threads, and eventually view them, although not as speedily as might be desired or even prudent.  In fact, DC has a dedicated folder in MyInfo - only, when there'll be time to catch up to it ... maybe January  :-\.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version