ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In search of ... router recommendations

<< < (3/5) > >>

Innuendo:
There *is* a version of DD-WRT for the 3700/3800. Not only that, but it's the current 'star of the day' over on the DD-WRT forums because it is such a beefy router. It handles the largest, most feature-filled build with plenty of resources left over.

barney:
Yeah, I went to take a look.  Unfortunately, I also saw the N900 (WNDR4500).  Not on the DD-WRT list (yet), but it's attractive because of the new TV and the N900's purported capability for 3D/HD.  That's something I'll have to bear in mind in the future - if I endanger Baby Daughter's Netflix, et. al., I'll be in serious trouble  :P.

40hz:
No router recommendations from me but I like Tomato quite a bit. More current than DDWRT, easier to use, less crash-prone (I haven't had to restart my router in... a while, can't remember the last time).

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (December 21, 2011, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll +1 w/JJ on Tomato. Got it running in several places (friends, small clients, relatives) on Linksys WRT-54GLs and it's been a dream. Hardly ever have to do a power-bounce reset on them unless the cable/DSL modem plugged into them had a problem first. Pretty much a joy to own and use.

Not quite so enthusiastic about DD-WRT. With power comes a price - and the potential for glitches.

Unless you need some of the really advanced features DD-WRT provides, I think you're better off with Tomato. Unless you like to get down and play, in which case DD-WRT is a nice big busybox to screw around with. :up:

For Netflix, check out the Roku streaming players. A few of our friends use them (wired through Tomato based routers) and they're pretty awesome. Can't say how well they work in a wireless configuration because I don't have any direct experience with that setup. We plan on getting a Roku2-XS in the not too distant future since we're finally dropping DirectTV. (That little red Angry Birds Limited Edition is soooo tempting. ;D )

I'm currently using something called the Untangle Gateway on my home network. My 'router' consists of a small, fairly green (due for an upgrade) headless PC with an 8-port gigabyte switch plugged into it. It's overkill for most people. And I may switch to something else when I upgrade the box it's running on because my requirements have changed a great deal since I first started using it. If I go over to a fixed IP sometime next year I'll probably switch to using pfSense.

Luck!
 8)

JavaJones:
Frankly I feel like if you're wanting the level of power that DD-WRT offers, just get a little box to run PFSense. Pretty sure PFSense can do everything DD-WRT can and more, and if that's not enough you can always run Monowall or another similar mini-Linux router distro. We run PFsense boxes (the Alix ones I linked to) at my "day job" and they work great. You can get models with wireless radio addons if you want, or just buy a cheap(er) "dumb" Wireless Access Point to plug in to your PFSense box to provide wireless.

- Oshyan

barney:
Frankly I feel like if you're wanting the level of power that DD-WRT offers, just get a little box to run PFSense.
-JavaJones (December 27, 2011, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be a great idea, save for three (3) things:  AC power, space & temperature gradient  :o. 

* A dedicated box would, of necessity, eat more power than a router.  Not a financial problem, but a service problem.
* A dedicated box would require room, physical space that just does not exist  :(.  Router can fit on a shelf that won't support a dedicated box.
* The computer room is 12'x12' and is hotter than any other room in the house by five (5) to ten (10) degrees.  Nice when ol' man Winter is hangin' around, but killer in the summer.  Even in winter, a fan is sometimes required.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version