topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... overlibmws GUI/interface/tutorial  (Read 5447 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In search of ... overlibmws GUI/interface/tutorial
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:42 PM »
Folk,

Just got back after too much time on the road and before I could even unpack I got hit with this  :huh:.
An acquaintance - former client - that I help from time to time has recently discovered overlib.js/overlibmws.js.  He is totally enamored.  He wants to use it.  He is a dor - well-l-l, he's not whatcha call geeky, ya know? - and I don't have time right now to devote to him - too many tapes to convert  ;)  :-*.

So I told him I'd try to find something he could use to help him.  Coupla quick searches have not revealed anything like a GUI, nor could I spot a real tutorial - what's on the source pages is well beyond his level of coding agility (not misspelled ;D), i.e., understanding   :P.

So ...

Anyone here know of any such?  Or, perhaps, a different library that can accomplish the same basics with a bit simpler syntax?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ... overlibmws GUI/interface/tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:48 PM »
If I remember correctly, overlib is from 2002 or 2003. Go with something like jQuery now.

Do you have a reference?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:28 PM »
Jim is impressed with the definition pop-ups he's seen with overlib - actually overlibmws, but I don't know that it's much younger, or maintained.  Not familiar enough with jQuery to make a recommendation to him - that's why I posted  ;D.  I pretty much avoid JS whenever possible, although AJAX has been tempting me of late.

However, Jim needs assistance in accomplishing  whatever his ends might be.  That's why I'm seeking a GUI or a fairly simple tutorial for him.  Personally, I don't care what the source is as long as he can get his popups  :P.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:16 AM »
The documentation is pretty clear:

http://www.bosrup.co...erlib/?Documentation

Is that what you need?

Or here:

http://www.macridesw.../oltest/STARTED.html

If you follow them through, they're pretty straight forward.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Yeah, I don't have any problem with the documentation.  I used the Bosrup page when applying overlib on in-house pages at my last corporate gig, over a decade ago, but that was me and that was then.

However Jim is a different matter.  He needs a simple, "Connect tab A to slot B," kind of thing.  He's a casual Web page creator with delusions of being a primo developer.  He's pretty good at page design, just not so good at actually writing it.  (To make matters worse - ? - he actually makes a living as a design consultant  ;D.)

And he has a penchant for getting hung up on one element to the exclusion of everything else.  So I'm trying to find a simple[r] instruction set for him.  Or, best, a GUI that'll create the code he wants so he can just paste it into the page source.  I'm not Hellbent on using overlib, per se, just looking for something that'll let him include his pop-ups with minimum effort.  I've pointed him to the Macrides site, but that documentation, "... just confuses me."  I'll give him the Bosrup site, but suspect the response will be the same.  He's accustomed to black box scripting and has no desire even to read a book about it, assuming there's one (1) extant, because, "Programming books are too confusing."  As I said, he wants, "Connect tab A to slot B."  :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:13 PM »
I think he's out of luck. I had a look, but couldn't find any tutorials for them.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 07:48 PM »
Yeah, that was my experience as well.  I was just hopeful that, with the breadth of experience here, someone had information that I've yet to find.  Actually, I'm kinda surprised there isn't something a la SourceForge along these lines  :-\ :P.

Guess he'll just have to make do with the Bosrup site - but he will whine  :tellme: :o :P.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Well, he's kind of saying, "I want to do X, but I don't want to learn how to do X."

Seriously - look at, or get him to look at, different solutions for the same problem. There are more out there now and he's likely to find something that will fit the bill and have an easier tutorial. The jQuery world is a good place to start.

(Still - overlib is very easy to use.)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:09 PM »
His simile is that he doesn't have to know how to build a car in order to drive one  ;D.  Kinda sad, really  :(.  But, as mentioned, he's making a living designing Web pages, even if he cannot truly build what he designs.  He's so busy that he's refusing clients ... that's gotta say something about his work, even if most of it is pretty much local/regional.  To my mind, it's kinda, sorta cheatin' to build a page in Photoshop, then expect a developer to recreate it in script, but that's apparently how this world works  :-\.

Oh, well ... if he's SOL, he's SOL.