ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

In search of ... overlibmws GUI/interface/tutorial

(1/2) > >>

barney:
Folk,

Just got back after too much time on the road and before I could even unpack I got hit with this  :huh:.
An acquaintance - former client - that I help from time to time has recently discovered overlib.js/overlibmws.js.  He is totally enamored.  He wants to use it.  He is a dor - well-l-l, he's not whatcha call geeky, ya know? - and I don't have time right now to devote to him - too many tapes to convert  ;)  :-*.

So I told him I'd try to find something he could use to help him.  Coupla quick searches have not revealed anything like a GUI, nor could I spot a real tutorial - what's on the source pages is well beyond his level of coding agility (not misspelled ;D), i.e., understanding   :P.

So ...

Anyone here know of any such?  Or, perhaps, a different library that can accomplish the same basics with a bit simpler syntax?

Renegade:
If I remember correctly, overlib is from 2002 or 2003. Go with something like jQuery now.

Do you have a reference?

barney:
Jim is impressed with the definition pop-ups he's seen with overlib - actually overlibmws, but I don't know that it's much younger, or maintained.  Not familiar enough with jQuery to make a recommendation to him - that's why I posted  ;D.  I pretty much avoid JS whenever possible, although AJAX has been tempting me of late.

However, Jim needs assistance in accomplishing  whatever his ends might be.  That's why I'm seeking a GUI or a fairly simple tutorial for him.  Personally, I don't care what the source is as long as he can get his popups  :P.

Renegade:
The documentation is pretty clear:

http://www.bosrup.com/web/overlib/?Documentation

Is that what you need?

Or here:

http://www.macridesweb.com/oltest/STARTED.html

If you follow them through, they're pretty straight forward.

barney:
Yeah, I don't have any problem with the documentation.  I used the Bosrup page when applying overlib on in-house pages at my last corporate gig, over a decade ago, but that was me and that was then.

However Jim is a different matter.  He needs a simple, "Connect tab A to slot B," kind of thing.  He's a casual Web page creator with delusions of being a primo developer.  He's pretty good at page design, just not so good at actually writing it.  (To make matters worse - ? - he actually makes a living as a design consultant  ;D.)

And he has a penchant for getting hung up on one element to the exclusion of everything else.  So I'm trying to find a simple[r] instruction set for him.  Or, best, a GUI that'll create the code he wants so he can just paste it into the page source.  I'm not Hellbent on using overlib, per se, just looking for something that'll let him include his pop-ups with minimum effort.  I've pointed him to the Macrides site, but that documentation, "... just confuses me."  I'll give him the Bosrup site, but suspect the response will be the same.  He's accustomed to black box scripting and has no desire even to read a book about it, assuming there's one (1) extant, because, "Programming books are too confusing."  As I said, he wants, "Connect tab A to slot B."  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version