topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Listary Pro - good value at full price, 50% discount on BDJ today - 17 Dec 2011  (Read 23019 times)

BillB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Listary Pro turned up on Bits du Jour today - I had never heard of it before, but it does the recent file/folder tricks very nicely and works with two applications which have proved difficult for similar products (CorelDraw and Firefox) so I have gone for it and bought 3 licences.  The freeware licence (for non-commercial users) would be a great asset to most people.

http://www.bitsdujou...tware/listary-pro-2/

http://www.listary.com/

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And again today, 2012-05-09.

Channing added some teasing comments about the forthcoming - it's not here yet  ;) Listary 4:

Channing Dai
Answer to one frequently asked question about find-as-you-type search (http://www.listary.com/find-as-you-type):

The find-as-you-type search feature currently supports file open/save dialogs, Windows Explorer and xplorer2. It will support almost all file managers in Listary 4 (powered by Everything search http://www.voidtools.com/).

Listary 4 is almost finished and you can upgrade to it (and all future versions) for free if you purchase now.

Channing Dai @Tore Hoyem
Thank you very much for your testimonial. Here are some of the major changes of Listary 4:
- Ultra fast full disk and subfolder search (using Everything as backend).
- Support for more file open/save dialog and application types
- Specifying behavior of Listary (like toolbar position and how to handle mouse/keyboard events) per application
- Fully customizable toolbar
- Fully customizable double click popup menu
- Setting your own icon for favorite and command items
- Improved performance and stability
- Smaller installer size
- And much, much more...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i hv a slightly OT question. is it possible to turn off this "Find as You Type" (FAYT) feature? instead, i would like to use Listary for the "Quick Switch" feature and "Favorites" menu.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
is it possible to turn off this "Find as You Type" (FAYT) feature? instead, i would like to use Listary for the "Quick Switch" feature and "Favorites" menu.

I'm using Version 3.51.819, last but one.  The Applications tab has these:

Application Settings: (only affect selected application in the list above)
  [ ]   Enable Listary for this application
  [X]   Track recent files and folders

But, even set like that, I don't think you can switch off FAYT without switching off the other features.  I don't actually use Favorites inside Listary, but I use Total Commander as my file manager.  Listary integrates well with TC (and several other file managers), understanding my TC favourites list.  I tried my editor Notetab Pro with the Listary settings above, and asked Notetab to open a file with the standard WIndows File Open dialog.  Alt-tabbing between TC and Notetab didn't switch the File Open dialog to the folder TC was pointing to.  You might contact the author to be sure, though.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@rjbull: thanks for the reply.. i also use totalcmd and so will look into the integration feature. i guess quick-switch function is a bit tricky as plenty of apps can't get it right.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@rjbull: thanks for the head up. I've been waiting for the discount.  :) I love the Quick Switch feature and it integrates well with xplorer2.z

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i hv a slightly OT question. is it possible to turn off this "Find as You Type" (FAYT) feature? instead, i would like to use Listary for the "Quick Switch" feature and "Favorites" menu.
Sorry that disabling FAYT is not supported in the current version. In Listary 4 you can configure the toolbar to not show up automatically when you type and trigger it via hot key manually.

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I tried my editor Notetab Pro with the Listary settings above, and asked Notetab to open a file with the standard WIndows File Open dialog.  Alt-tabbing between TC and Notetab didn't switch the File Open dialog to the folder TC was pointing to.  You might contact the author to be sure, though.
You're right. Quick Switch (and other features) won't work if you uncheck "Enable Listary for this application".

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry that disabling FAYT is not supported in the current version. In Listary 4 you can configure the toolbar to not show up automatically when you type and trigger it via hot key manually.

@Channing: thanks for the info. i'll wait for the upcoming version 4 then..

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Channing added some teasing comments about the forthcoming - it's not here yet  ;) Listary 4:

Channing Dai
[...]
Listary 4 is almost finished and you can upgrade to it (and all future versions) for free if you purchase now.

and still on offer today the 10th (!)
http://www.bitsdujou...tware/listary-pro-2/

wondering what their upgrade pricing will be with version 4. (I know it's a steal anyway...)
EDIT/
sorry, I wasn't fully clear -
I already have a license & am wondering what the upgrade cost will be for that
Tom
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:21 AM by tomos »

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

Channing added some teasing comments about the forthcoming - it's not here yet  ;) Listary 4:

Channing Dai
[...]
wondering what their upgrade pricing will be with version 4. (I know it's a steal anyway...)

From the Policy section: "Upgrades to future versions of the software will be free for the lifetime of the product."
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
From the Policy section: "Upgrades to future versions of the software will be free for the lifetime of the product."

sorry, I wasn't fully clear -
I already have a license & am wondering what the upgrade cost will be for that
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a license too, and although I assumed that the upgrade policy was the same as the "if you purchase now" deal, darned if I can find anything about it on their web site...  anyone know what the policy was moving from version 2 to 3  (I wasn't around back then)?  Given the "and all future version" wording in this deal, I'd be pretty disappointed if current licensees get charged...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I bought my license via an earlier Bits deal on 2010-03-21.  I can't remember the exact version number at the time, though I think it was 2.x.  I haven't had to pay for any upgrades, yet anyway.  I would read the wording to mean, no upgrade fees ever, but we all know what's been happening to that sort of license.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'll wait for the upcoming version 4 then..
The deal has been extended to today, 2012-05-10.  The free vs. pro comparison chart at  http://www.listary.com/pro  says license is "lifetime," and even if there's an upgrade fee at some point it's usual for it to be reduced for existing users, so you might want to spring for it in hope.  It's not very expensive anyway.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'll wait for the upcoming version 4 then..
The deal has been extended to today, 2012-05-10.  The free vs. pro comparison chart at  http://www.listary.com/pro  says license is "lifetime," and even if there's an upgrade fee at some point it's usual for it to be reduced for existing users, so you might want to spring for it in hope.  It's not very expensive anyway.

ok, i made the jump for this fantastic offer. thanks to rjbull for the nudge and also to Channing for offering this discount.

BitsDuJour Software Deals - Listary Pro_1336700873534_1336700965188_reg001.png

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I also have registered Listary Pro some time ago, and I know I am underutilizing some of its features. I was browsing the Listary web site the other day and found two features I had not realized were there.

• "Find As You Type" also finds your favorite folders in addition to items in the current folder, I had never noticed this. I was trying to do this, but doing it wrong. I was trying to do it from the actual list of favorite folders.
  • You can use regular expressions in "Find As You Type" (enter the colon (:) before typing).

Channing

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a license too, and although I assumed that the upgrade policy was the same as the "if you purchase now" deal, darned if I can find anything about it on their web site...  anyone know what the policy was moving from version 2 to 3  (I wasn't around back then)?  Given the "and all future version" wording in this deal, I'd be pretty disappointed if current licensees get charged...

Sorry to make you confused. The upgrade policy is not changed. You'll always get lifetime upgrade for free.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You'll always get lifetime upgrade for free.

nice to hear :Thmbsup:
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The upgrade policy is not changed. You'll always get lifetime upgrade for free.
That's good news!  In the meantime I keep suggesting people try it out, only took me about an hour before I went for the Pro license.  :up:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Channing: my totalcmd favorites menu has some networked paths, which when called within Listary takes a long time to display. so i was wondering if anything can be done about this?