ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple, I hate you (again) and the web design community too

<< < (2/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I am guessing that by "Safari" we mean "Safari on the specific pieces of Apple hardware". I instantly thought "well why not test Safari (on Windows) unless that's a source of more errors because it's "dogfood Safari" or something.

Meanwhile I've been bitten by Opera a couple of times too on my hobby pages.

KynloStephen66515:
Would be nice if there was a universal standard for cross-browser compatibility...shame it will never happen...no idea why ever Browser developer opts to render things totally differently.

Rendering websites in a different manner, on a new browser is a very bad idea, purely because nobody is willing to even bother trying to support your platform.  Look at how popular Opera is, and how many websites that still don't support it.  Look at how many websites still don't render for ANYTHING other than IE, and even some of those dont even support the newer builds of IE.

The web design market is a complete mess because of how painful it can be to test for all possible browsers.

mahesh2k:
Test it on Chrome and Firefox, forget about the rest. I mean seriously, there is no point in testing for IE and safari.

nudone:
I do agree that it's all a bit of a waste of time to test for Safari, I'd rather forget about it if I had the choice. I just seem to get clients passed onto me that expect their sites to work on their own iPad, which is reasonable; the annoying thing is that almost no one else on the planet will be viewing these websites on an iPad.

It would be nice if I could think of a good reason to use this Mac Mini now that I know it isn't going to be as useful as I had hoped. Any ideas to use it in a duel Mac and PC setup? I can't think of a good reason to use it over my PC.

Renegade:
A friend of mine put Windows XP on his Mac Mini, and LOVED it. He said it was the best XP box he'd ever had.

As for testing...

Forget IE 6 & 7. They're GONE!

SING HALLELUJAH~!

THERE IS A GOD! IE 6 AND 7 ARE DEAD~!

WAHOO~!

HALLELUJAH~!

PRAISE GOD~!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-57343270-2/microsoft-to-ie6-dead-browser-walking/

Known in the past for taking a soft touch when it comes to forcing users to update their browsers, Microsoft's pulling off the kid gloves and going for a bullet to the head.
--- End quote ---

JESUS~! THANK YOU~!

Now, as for Safari... Sorry. It sucks ass, but you need to test for it. If you don't... You're being irresponsible.

Testing should include:

Dolphin
Opera mobile
Opera mini
Safari - tab & phone

And a few others.

Sucks.

This is one of the reasons why I think the web is just so ****ing retarded so often.

Oh, and I also hate web devs more times than not. Because they just don't test... Grrr...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version