Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 11:48:17 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Google Gmail problem - "Nested groups detected".  (Read 3782 times)
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:25:51 AM »

I think Google engineers must have been making changes somewhere, because something has changed in the service.
For over 4 years I have been using a rule in my Gmail that forwards certain incoming messages to a Google group.
It's a very useful feature - when I am on a client's site, I can usually access this group through most corporate security filters, whereas I might not be able to access my Gmail account to read these messages.

All of a sudden, I have stared getting this error:
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

abcd@googlegroups.com [not a real email address]

Technical details of permanent failure:
Nested groups detected

Anyone know what/why this is?
I don't think I have ever used the nested groups feature of Google groups, but I am aware that it is/was advertised by Google as a benefit for their commercial apps clients. I know little else about it.
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:25 AM »

NOt sure how much this will help you, but it might:
http://www.google.com/sup...47d5de1c8ef2c45&hl=en

Example of nested groups:
Group 'le1' contains member@domain.tld
Group 'ue' contains member@domain.tld
Group 'everyone' contains Group 'le1' and Group 'ue'

Send email to Group 'everyone'.
member@domain.tld is in a nested group.

So perhaps abcd@googlegroups is subscribed to a your group and another subscriber of your group is a second group of which abcd@googlegroups also is a subscriber to. Therrefore this address is subscribed more than once.

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:24 PM »

@justice: Thanks. I hadn't seen that particular link, but I did read up about "Nested groups", and they seemed like a useful feature from what Google documentation seemed to be saying about them.
Be that as it may, it doesn't help to explain why I have suddenly only now started getting this block error message in Gmail, when I haven't changed anything to do with it - in Gmail or Groups. It's rather strange.
That's why I say Google must have changed something.

Maybe Google is about to announce the withdrawal of yet another service - who knows?
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:18:14 AM »

Looks like other users are finding they have the same problem - I just found some posts about it in the Gmail support forum:
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently: Nested groups detected?

So I added a post there as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 12:24:45 AM by IainB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.01 ]