topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Clipboard Help+Spell: Tips and Tricks  (Read 4170 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Clipboard Help+Spell: Tips and Tricks
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I thought it might be useful to have a thread on tips and tricks for Clipboard Help+Spell.

And I thought I'd start us off with a little trick only possible in recent versions of the program.

Have you ever noticed that some programs don't support Ctrl+V to paste into them from the clipboard?  DOS consoles for one -- but only some programs that use security "enhanced" user interface elements.

You can actually get around this by bringing up the normal quick paste menu in CHS, and then HOLD SHIFT while you select the item to paste.

When you do this, you'll trigger a new submenu for the clip item, which will look something like this:
Screenshot - 12_15_2011 , 7_25_35 PM.png

One of your choices is "Paste clip Using Key Strokes" -- which will work in the aforementioned scenarios.

(You'll also find entries on this submenu for printing a clip and marking it as a favorite).

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:34 PM by mouser »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard Help+Spell: Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49 AM »
I had previously posted about this on the DC forum Rearranging the CHS display to give a conventional 2-pane display.
I have sort of moved it to this "Tips and Tricks" topic thread on the suggestion of bob99, but modified it in the process.

Subject: Modifying the CHS Main UI (User Interface) window.

The main CHS window has 3 "panes" , each with a tab:
  • Tree: which displays a category tree for favourites or filtered items.
  • Grid: which displays a brief extract or name of a clip record.
  • Memo: which provides the details of a clip record, and some metadata.
You can drag these panes around. I dragged them into a more conventional "2-pane display" format, as described in the above post - see the screenshots also. (I don't want to duplicate that post here.)

But I have improved on that.
In the main CHS window is a menu item Layouts, which gives a drop-down list of preset layouts. One is called "Standard", and that is the one that provides the default layout of the 3 tabbed panes that you get when you first started up CHS.

First, I dragged the 3 panes (in the Standard layout) into this configuration:
Spoiler
CHS GUI 01.jpg

Second, I right-clicked on the Tree tab, to select auto-hide.
Spoiler
CHS GUI 02.jpg

Third, the Tree tab then hid itself. I reduced the width of the "Grid" tab.
Spoiler
CHS GUI 03.jpg

Fourth, I saved the new layout under Layouts, as "3-pane hide", so I can invoke it whenever I want, and with the preferred order of sorting as well.
Now, I think that is very handy.     :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:56 AM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:28 AM »
What do I need to do to get CHS to give priority to images when I take a Copy of mixed text and image?
I tried selecting the "Prefer Graphic Image over Text" in the Options box, but it didn't seem to make any difference.
Not sure what I am doing wrong.
2012-03-11 1923hrs Sshot CHS text-image priority.png

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 01:14 AM »
I thought it might be useful to have a thread on tips and tricks for Clipboard Help+Spell.

And I thought I'd start us off with a little trick only possible in recent versions of the program.

Have you ever noticed that some programs don't support Ctrl+V to paste into them from the clipboard?  DOS consoles for one -- but only some programs that use security "enhanced" user interface elements.

You can actually get around this by bringing up the normal quick paste menu in CHS, and then HOLD SHIFT while you select the item to paste.

When you do this, you'll trigger a new submenu for the clip item, which will look something like this: (see attachment in previous post)
One of your choices is "Paste clip Using Key Strokes" -- which will work in the aforementioned scenarios.

(You'll also find entries on this submenu for printing a clip and marking it as a favorite).

AAA!!  Great tip!
I was JUST fiddling around with some cmd stuff and was cursing about not being able to paste!