ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

free ABBYY Screenshot Reader

<< < (2/4) > >>

Curt:
One minor annoyance is that the ABBYY licensing service is forced to start with Windows, even if the mother program doesn't. The program will not accept this service to be moved to "Start on demand", but will however accept a delayed start,..., which again is difficult for the user to do, because most startup managers cannot delay such services,..., but a program like AnVir Task Manager Pro can do it.

Steven Avery:
Hi,

And I had one short period of real annoyance about the startup service thing. And I wrote to Abbyy and got a decent response, which I may have posted on DC. 

Since this is a service I use virtually every session it is not a factor for me, but I understand that it is for some.  Plus, afaik, there really is no comparable product anywhere at a sensible price.

While you can easily duplicate the picture-taking capability with many products, you cannot do so with the text OCR. Often I take a pic of a paragraph, stick it in my email, Eudora, which is my normal text editor too, then OCR the same pic, so when I clean up any letter problems the two are right in front of me.   

Another trick is combining small pics into one, since my outgoing email tends to choke on too many pics (more than 3 or 4, it can get confused as to which is which).

And I would not mind using some good utility, disk or cloud, for combining when the sections are long I can not do it within an email since I am working with "screen-space".   I have not tested that idea yet, of combining longer sections, since it is only a light occasional need.

Steven

Curt:
It should be noted that the 153MB ABBYY Screenshot Reader still can be retrieved for free, and that it is at version 5988 - meaning NOW is a good time to get it, before the most-likely-not-so-free version 6 is launched. However, you need to first answer a few fair questions  and give your email address: http://www.abbyy.com/screenshot_reader_bonus/

Edit:
I got the version's number wrong. It is at version 9.0 ... "part 5988" - so it must be quite new?

IainB:
@Curt: Thanks for this. ABBYY Screenshot Reader is a really useful tool (as discussed elsewhere on DCF).
I had suggested to someone in another forum that it might still available for free, but was not sure (had not checked) - you just found it was.
I shall have to update my copy...

rgdot:
Stupid question I guess but can someone shed light on why the size? 153MB?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version