ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

DONE: Datestamp internet explorer favorites to ease locating

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
i get lost in my ie bookmarks - it would really be nice to have a commandline tool that recursively went through favorites directory and prefixed all url bookmark filenames with the file date in sortable form (ie 'YYMMDD_HHMM').

note you have to be really carefull about any such recursive auto renaming - if you mess up and rename all the files on the hard disk it would be hell.  but restricting it to .url files would go along way.

would be nice to have an option to also REMOVE such prefixes, so it could be used as a toggle.

and would be nice if it auto-located the ie favorites folder location, so that out of the box you could just run it to add prefix or remove prefix, without any configuration (thought you might want to have it confirm favorites folder location on first run).

oh yeah, big important thing - it should be smart enough to detect its own datestamp so that it doesnt add it again when run on files that already have it (youll need to be able to identify it anyway if you are going to provide a "remove" toggle feature).

anyway i would add this command as a link on my browser toolbar so i could re-run it periodically.

jgpaiva:
First the good news: the main part can be done. The toggle functionality does make sense, and can be done too.
The only problem is the out-of the box functionality.
How about if it had one initial "please tell me where your favourites are located" dialog?
It can be done with a default (english) directory, and if that directory isn't found, it'd prompt for the right one.
Everything else looks like not a big problem, if all the favourites are stored in the one only root directory.

mouser:
yeah i don't mind at all the initial asking for directory;
there is a registry key that will tell you it, but who cares if it's only asking for it once and if you were going to have to make user confirm it anyway.

skrommel:
 :) Try AddUrlTimeStamp!

AddUrlTimeStamp - Prefix favorites with creation date.

Features:
- Ignores the Links folder, and urls starting with +.
- Command line tool, run it without parameters to show a folder selection dialog.
- Syntax: AddUrlTimeStamp.exe "foldername"

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

Skrommel

skrommel:
 :) And RemoveUrlTimeStamp!

RemoveUrlTimeStamp - Remove prefixed creation date from favorites.

Features:
- Command line tool, run it without parameters to show a folder selection dialog.
- Syntax: RemoveUrlTimeStamp.exe "foldername"

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

Skrommel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version