topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Windows Start Menu manager  (Read 12505 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Windows Start Menu manager
« on: February 16, 2006, 06:56 PM »
I don't think there's a good start menu manager out there (that I've seen at least).  I know that you can do this using a regular file manager and just move the shortcut files around, but it would be nice to have a tool specifically for this.  Some programs are in the All Users folder and some programs are in your specific login directory.  I'm looking for something that can easily move things back and forth and add items easily.  Also, have several options including one that will APLHABETIZE the list, and maybe some other options for sorting.

I've tried a couple of programs that do this, sort of, (I don't remember them right now).  But they weren't very good at all.  Usually, when I do this now, I just use Directory Opus and have two panes open and start moving the shortcuts back and forth.

Other nice features would be:
--Saving certain configurations, in case you want to have things arranged multiple ways
--Right-click option to quickly add shortcuts to exactly where you want in a start menu
--Profile synchronizer, in case you want to make a few user profiles the same, etc.

Anyway, that's it.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Windows Start Menu manager
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:59 PM »
Windows Start Menu manager?
Use Farr!  :tellme: :tellme:
You'll never want to use start menu again ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:05 PM »
actually it's a nice idea to have a good start menu tweaker tool.. but it would have to be done carefullly; messing up someone's start menu would really be a disaster.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Well, I do use FARR...
Actually, you have a good point.  I haven't used Start Menu much since FARR.  But having a bunch of stuff in there still bothers me.  Hmmm....I have to think about this.  Seriously, why do I need this if I have FARR?  I'm beginning to think that this is kind of a worthless idea.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 07:29 PM »
I'm beginning to think that this is kind of a worthless idea.
It's not that worthless, it actually makes much sense for those who don't know/like farr (i.e., those who don't know it exists ;) ). And also for users that use both farr and the start menu. (Although i can't quite understand how that's possible ;) )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 07:37 PM »
i use farr but i also like to have a nicely organized start menu for when i want to find stuff.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 08:02 AM »
I'm a little confused.  :huh:  Why would one need an organized Start Menu if they had a well organized Launcher?

jdd

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 09:28 AM »
jdd, farr is not a launch bar, it doesn't have the "visual recognition" to execute programs, you have to type it's name. Some people prefer to use the visual-recognition, because it makes them remember they have those programs. For me, this makes sense, but i don't like using my mouse ;).
But farr v2 (aka mercury runner), will have a launchbar integrating, which we hope will take out the need for the start menu. Right, mouser? ;)

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 06:16 PM »
I've always wanted a better way to organise my Start Menu.  If you drag an item on the start menu before it's sub-menu becomes active then it won't actually drag.  This is very annoying.  There is also the problem of dragging between the Current User & All Users if you use Explorer to tidy up.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 10:02 PM »
I'd love to see this idea come to fruition.  While I seldom -use- my start menu, it annoys me to no end to know that it's there and cluttered.  xplorer2 with tis dual panes allow me to more easily bring my start menu to an acceptable state, but it's still a tedius matter to deal with.  And it's true, while FRR is a great application, no everyone will desire to use it.  One thing FRR users and non-users alike certainly have in common is they -do- have a start menu and it does naturally gain clutter.  A more streamlined means of dealing with this clutter would be a godsend.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 10:25 AM »
If you drag an item on the start menu before it's sub-menu becomes active then it won't actually drag.  This is very annoying.

Have you tried adjusting the menu popup delay with Tweak UI or X-Setup Pro? My submenus pop up instantly.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 03:41 PM »
I have.  My computer is lagging.  I think it's time for a reinstall of Windows.

Thanx anyway.

(It's still a problem that shouldn't occur regardless.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 03:52 PM by skywalka »