ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to make image collages, film strips, and other multi-image compositions

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
+ 1 from me for what @InstantFundas said re Picasa.

Curt:
Do it easy and for free with PhotoScape.

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

I use PhotoScape for a similar feature; they call it, to combine.

Version 3.3 is brand new: http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php?update=on
-Curt (January 13, 2009, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, this is exactly it.  Awesome!
-superboyac (January 13, 2009, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
You can try Picasa. It has a collage making function. I use it often.
-InstantFundas (December 14, 2011, 05:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

:o  :-[ How did I not think to even explore the options in Picasa?? I've commented on its face recognition in the past and I still use it for that purpose and a few other utility functions. I have actually even played with some of its other "create" functions like "face movies" and "time lapse", both of which work quite nicely (in a limited but super easy to use way). Indeed, looking at the collage functions, it seems to be almost *exactly* what I wanted! I could quibble about some missing control in some of the varying-size modes (mosaic), but really it will work for 90% of my needs in this area, which is awesome, especially since it's both free and a tool I already have and know how to use. Thanks for showing me what was right in front of my nose! :D

For the sake of completeness, Picture Collage Maker doesn't show any examples that are as simple as what I'm trying to achieve. I didn't test it since it's not free anyway and I'm not going to pay $30 for a program just to do this (especially when I now know Picasa does it, heh), but I suspect it might make simplicity more difficult than it needs to be in its efforts to make fancy (and nice) looking collages for people who want more going on in their creations.

Photoscape is a good find. It actually has some options that Picasa doesn't and while it's a bit clunkier, I think it's worth keeping in the toolbox for when I want to do things a that Picasa's collage system just won't do. Rounded corners is an example of a feature that, while small, is something I've done occasionally in the past and is very easy to achieve in Photoscape.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with suggestions, I've got several great options now! Another DC success. :) In fact, with how easy Picasa and Photoscape make this, I might be using this effect a lot more as I quite like it!

- Oshyan

jojo99:
I think you want to look at this program:

http://www.enricoros.com/opensource/fotowall/

JavaJones:
Thanks for teh suggestion jojo! Fotowall is fairly promising - I like that it's a portable app - but it doesn't seem to have any (functional) alignment options, which is kind of a must for really good results. Judging by the examples on the website, alignment should be possible (or someone was very careful aligning things for the examples), but I couldn't figure out how to do it at any rate. I did see one or two grayed out options that might have done it, but couldn't get them to activate. Judging by the very-much-in-progress nature of the program and its pre-1.0 status, maybe these are features that are just yet to be added/enabled. I'll keep an eye on it.

For now Picasa does a pretty darn good job for my needs. Photoscape is a good fallback for a bit more flexibility and other options.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version