ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ground Hog Day - failed system image restoring yet again

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
Looks like I can resolve this problem very quickly by hammering a 6" nail through the ssd.
-nudone (December 13, 2011, 04:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah...the value of catharsis... :)

tomos:
^ :D

re testing an image - do you (people) mean to do a test restore to the actual windows partition that was backed up?

nudone:
^ :D

re testing an image - do you (people) mean to do a test restore to the actual windows partition that was backed up?
-tomos (December 14, 2011, 02:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. You need to know that your backup/restore routine is going to work 100%. Otherwise it isn't a backup method at all.

The only real way of knowing if it works is to go through the whole restore process. So, it would make a lot of sense to do that at the earliest point possible; no point installing software and setting your computer up and THEN making a backup - if the backup process doesn't even work.

Now, if you know your backup/restore process works AND then find one day that it doesn't, it's all a bit too late. In which case it would have been a good idea to have a secondary backup/restore process to fall back on. Maybe that scenario hardly ever happens - I honestly can't remember if I tested my system at the beginning or not.

4wd:
About 15 % chance the memory (probably just 1 module) in the system is the cause of trouble (even after a burn-in test!)
About 10 % chance the video adapter/drivers is the cause of the trouble
About 5 % chance the hard-drive (boot/swap) is the cause of the trouble
About 0.01 % chance the PS/2 keyboard is the cause of trouble (saw that about twice in about 2000+ PC's in all my years building of PC's)
The rest (~70 %!) is caused by Windows not installed/decompressed right.

(Percentages are estimates)-Ath (December 13, 2011, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

You forgot that which is allocated to PEBKAC.

Ath:
You forgot that which is allocated to PEBKAC.
-4wd (December 14, 2011, 03:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
I hid that in the 70% "not installed right" part 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version