topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Humble Indie Bundle 4 is now live  (Read 12005 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Humble Indie Bundle 4 is now live
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Humble Indie Bundle #4 is live, and this one was a no-brainer.

Pay what you want for Super Meat Boy, Shank, Jamestown, Bit.Trip Runner, and NightSky. And if you choose to pay more than the average price, you will also receive Gratuitous Space Battles and Cave Story+!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4 is now live
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26 PM »
I already owned all but 3 of them, and of those three the only one I cared about was Cave Story+. But even paying the minimum (beat the average) to get CS+ is a great price for an amazing game. :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:57 PM »
 If you haven't played Night Sky it is worth buying just for that one.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:04 PM »
For my input, GSB is pretty awesome!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:06 PM »
If you haven't played Night Sky it is worth buying just for that one.

+1 :up:

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I bought it.

I now have far too many games, and far too little will power.

I'll be up all night playing, then be useless at work, and loose my job.

Xmas will be ruined.

Bah humbug :(

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:42 PM »
You have missed the point you don't play them - you collect them (like a stamp collection) ;-)

Then you stay up all night, lose your job and have a crap Christmas.

Personally my Christmas is always crap - all I want is a big bag of humbugs and not once in 53 years has anyone actually given me a bag.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:53 PM »
You have missed the point you don't play them - you collect them (like a stamp collection) ;-)

Personally my Christmas is always crap - all I want is a big bag of humbugs and not once in 53 years has anyone actually given me a bag.

Merry Christmas!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 05:47 PM »

Thank you!  You've now made me feel better!

Or not...  :P

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Merry Christmas!

LOL - that would do me. Nice little morality tale.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:58 AM »
I bought this one as soon as I got their notification email.  My kids love these... :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Quick update - HIB 4 now includes 5 extra games from HIB 3 if you didn't get that one:

We've just added five classic Humble Indie Bundle 3 games to Humble Indie Bundle 4! If you've already purchased it, visit your download page now to download VVVVVV, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Cogs, And Yet It Moves, and Hammerfight including all of their soundtracks! If you haven't bought Humble Indie Bundle 4 yet, you can nab this bundle-in-a-bundle by setting your price higher than the average.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:46 PM »
$1 Min. Price For Getting Steam Keys

Hey guys, we’ve noticed that a number of un-humble users are buying lots of Humble Indie Bundle 4’s for one penny, and then using their Steam codes to “legitimize” automated Steam accounts in order to increase their odds of winning prizes in Valve’s current raffle promotion.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 02:19 AM »
You left out the important details (emphasis added):

Hey guys, we’ve noticed that a number of un-humble users are buying lots of Humble Indie Bundle 4’s for one penny, and then using their Steam codes to “legitimize” automated Steam accounts in order to increase their odds of winning prizes in Valve’s current raffle promotion. This is unfair to legitimate entrants and is definitely not what we wanted to encourage with Humble Indie Bundle 4. It’s a lose-lose situation for the indie developers, charities, Valve, and Humble Bundle.

Therefore, starting immediately, new orders under a humble threshold of $1 will not contain Steam keys.

If you can’t afford a dollar but still need a Steam key and promise not to resell it or otherwise abuse it, please contact our support team with your humble appeal and we’ll purchase a new bundle for you on a case by case basis.

I think that fits the same spirit you'll find here at DC. :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 04:35 AM »
I don't really see why they can't insist all purchases must be over $1 - if people are paying under 30 cents that shouldn't be allowed as it is costing them money for the PayPal transaction.

Sad when people can be so bloody mean!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 09:49 AM »
I don't really see why they can't insist all purchases must be over $1 - if people are paying under 30 cents that shouldn't be allowed as it is costing them money for the PayPal transaction.

I think the spirit of the thing is not just to let people set what they think it's worth, but what they can actually pay.  I know people that are long-term unemployed whom I have introduced to it (usually through gifting) who can't afford anything.  Maybe those are some of the people who just scrape together what they can (maybe even on .01) to pay.  I'm sure some are gaming the system, but I don't think that it can be assumed that all are...

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Just strikes me that they should set a lower limit to cover the basic cost of the service. If someone pays 1 cent then the either money donated by other people has to be used to cover the cost of the other 29 cents of PayPal's transaction charge (or similar for other payment processors) or the Humble team have to shell out to cover that cost. Both seem extremely mean spirited.

Sorry if someone is so poor that they can't shell out $1+ they shouldn't be wasting even 1 cent on games and probably should sell their PC to buy some food! They certainly can't afford to pay a broadband subscription to cover their Steam costs.

I am sure not everyone is gaming the system but obviously a lot of people are otherwise they wouldn't have made the current statement. Another thing they can do is simply wither stop using Steam to avoid the issue - all the games are still downloadable and playable which seems fair enough - or ask Steam to make it clear that Humble Buindle Keys are not going to be eligible for any prizes etc.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:14 AM by Carol Haynes »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58 AM »
Sorry if someone is so poor that they can't shell out $1+ they shouldn't be wasting even 1 cent on games and probably should sell their PC to buy some food! They certainly can't afford to pay a broadband subscription to cover their Steam costs.
Just because someone can't afford non-essentials doesn't mean that they can't buy food or don't need PCs/broadband for easy access to jobs and such.  I know quite a few people in those situations (and I'd think that most people at least in the US know someone) so I guess I'm a little more understanding with the economic situation the way that it is that but for the grace of God that I could be in the same situation, and how much entertainment helps to stave off depression and make the situation a bit brighter.  So done within reason, I can understand prioritizing a little entertainment- and that's why as a gamer I try to do these unexpected things for friends in those situations.  Economic hard times haven't spared any class of people during this downturn, and I know people who've worked hard for 20 years+ that have lost everything because of it.  And some are *still* not turning to handouts, so isn't a charitable attitude towards them just as much charity?

I am sure not everyone is gaming the system but obviously a lot of people are otherwise they wouldn't have made the current statement. Another thing they can do is simply wither stop using Steam to avoid the issue - all the games are still downloadable and playable which seems fair enough - or ask Steam to make it clear that Humble Buindle Keys are not going to be eligible for any prizes etc.

I think the issue is being clouded as far as that is concerned.  During Steam events, sometimes you need to buy a game to complete an event.  Some people are getting the games exceedingly cheap in order to be able to compete in these events.  That's the issue, I think- not that you can use the keys to be eligible for prizes.  And to stop using Steam would punish the many for the sake of the few- sort of like DRM in a way...?  But that's a different discussion.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:04 AM by wraith808 »