ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Is Clojure the next C ?

(1/3) > >>

Armando:
Interesting article on software vs hardware and... language "evolution".
The Barbarians are at the Gates

Eóin:
Let's see

* He applies a human linguistic issue to computer languages without ever justifying that it is applicable.
* He keeps going on about us being "trapped" without every really justifying that we are or what the trap is.
* He then proposes a "solution" without any really explanation of why it will solve things other saying "it's different".
I suppose it's an interesting diary entry, but it's not much of a supported argument.

f0dder:
+1, Eóin :)

I also find he trivializes that changes that has been in software development over the years. Yes, there's probably some magnitudes more complexity in the hardware engineering field, but a lot has been happening in software engineering as well.

And then there's the premise that we have a problem. Really? Most users aren't going to need a fraction of the computing power a modern CPU offers. Handling massive loads of users on a web backend is a completely different programming task than running desktop software - a 2048-core laptop sounds plain old lame to me.

Armando:
Thanks for your insight guys ! Much appreciated. :up:

wraith808:
a 2048-core laptop sounds plain old lame to me.
-f0dder (December 13, 2011, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

And 640K of memory is all anyone will ever need.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version