topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pattern scoring Kudos and Questions  (Read 2755 times)

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pattern scoring Kudos and Questions
« on: December 11, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I've recently discovered the 'Pattern Scoring' capabilities in FARR.  It's made a HUGE difference in the usability of FARR for me.  Extra Kudos, Mouser, for adding the ability to use Modifier Keywords with Pattern Scoring!  I had the problem that there are hundreds of MP3s and Image files all over the place.  Generally, I don't want FARR to find these...  There are tons of them and they clog up the search speed.  So I essentially "turned them off" by making PS rules for score is -99999.  Then made keyword-modified ones to turn them back on.

Very nice!   :Thmbsup:   ;D

Questions though--What is the most efficient way to set up my list of patterns?  
(1) Should the most commonly utilized ones be at the top of the list (in the same way that directories should be)?  Does it even matter with pattern scoring?  Should I have all the keyword-modified rules AFTER the non-modified ones?
(2) I have image files essentially turned off with score is -99999, but I have a keyword "+pic" that makes them +99999.  I couldn't see how to combine these (e.g. Pattern is *.jpg, *.bmp, *.png, *.gif; Score is -99999), instead I had to make separate rules for each file type--all using the same keyword.  Is this the best way to do it?  Or is there a way to combine multiple file types on one rule?  

Many thanks!   :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:09 PM by kunkel321 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pattern scoring Kudos and Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Hi Kunkel -- glad you like the scoring patterns -- I really wonder how many people use it!
I don't think it matters what order you put them in.

The only thing i will note is that if you want to exclude certain extensions (or only search for certain extensions) within specific directories, you can now more efficiently do so by adding these extension patterns to the SEARCH DIRECTORY entry (rather than in scoring).

..instead I had to make separate rules for each file type
that's a good point, let me add the ability to specify multiple patterns in a score entry rule.