topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 10:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can't buy a mobile hotspot in a store. Need to go through carrier. Stupid.  (Read 6474 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm so pissed.  I just found out that my current ISP, time warner roadrunner, offers mobile internet access for an additional $20 a month.  I like that, I'm willing to try it out.  What I want to do is carry it around with me wherever I go and be able to access my phone, tablet, laptop with it.

So here's the problem:  you can't buy a hotspot independently.  At least not the good ones I know of.  You have to buy it through Verizon or whatever.  It's such complete nonsense.  I'm telling you, this cell phone industry is quickly becoming the next thing that needs to be exposed for what it is.  It's a monopoly, they are very very severely limiting the technology and innovation that creative people can take advantage of right now.  They just want to nickel and dime you for every single byte you use.  All the cell phone manufacturers, ISPs, carriers...they're all in bed with each other...and probably the government, too.  What's worse is that this highly profitable and potentially innovative industry is completely shut off to the general public.  In a time where the economy is struggling, there are a lot of people that can provide cool and interesting services to people, but we can't because the data pathways are not available to us.  I'm so pissed every time I think about this.

So I want to buy a mobile hotspot, but I don't want to go through the carriers.  I don't want to sign a contract.  I just want to go to the fucking store and pick up a hotspot, like I'd pick up anything else like groceries, routers, hard drives, etc.  Why should this be different?  because this is all these companies have...control of the bandwidth.  All these industries that are raking it in now are just sitting there preventing people from doing anything, and do they do anything innovative?  No.  All they do is figure out more ways to leverage...more ways to find financial loopholes...more fees to charge...more sneaky ways to get people into contracts.  That's all they do.  The actual service is shoddy compared to the effort they give to those other things.

What is happening to this country?  Where are the opportunities?  It's not that there aren't jobs out there...this situation makes it impossible to get paid for anything unless you are already a billionaire.  You have a cool idea for cell phone users?  Forget it...you won't be able to make a living by the time you try to implement it.  Why?  This rule, that rule, copyright this, copyright that, pay Apple 30% of your sales so they can put it on their site?

All of this needs to change.  So much needs to change.  All of these bullshit industries:  financial, medical, cell phone, education...all of the biggies.  They are bloated, they are ineffective, they are sucking up ALL of the money that can be made out there.  They take just about all of our money and treat us like shit.

I'm tired of it. I just want to give up and play piano 24/7.  Every time I try to do something cool and creative, or have a nice idea that can not only be profitable AND help people, AND make everyone happy...I can't do it.

I love this country, I really do.  But I don't see that hope anymore, or the opportunities.  It's too hard to do anything.  All most people have the strength is taking care of their families, and that's becoming exhausting now.  Anything more is too much effort, too much of a struggle, too much willpower.

Anyway...another post by me...I don't know why I vent here :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Hehehe...

+1

The only error there was:

What is happening to this country?

Should have said "planet"~! :P ;D

Just poking fun there. But it's true. The whole world is like that.

Here's the thing...

The US is the PREMIERE market for everything. That means that if shit is going to happen, shit happens there first. (Mostly.) Then that shit gets pushed out to the rest of the world.

Everyone copies the US. The US has some of the worst legislation in the world that allows corporate psychopathy to run rampant and rape indiscriminately.

Carbon copy that everywhere else... The world is a mess. Thank you Uncle Sam.

You probably already know that the mobile industry has been good for me and paid many of my bills. I'm certainly thankful for that.

I've seen fairly deep into that world, including the part where manufacturers and carriers collaborate for maximum profit.

Metaphor - NSFW
If you think the cock in your ass hurts, it's only because the cock in your mouth hurts slightly less.

Your frustration isn't yours alone. I hear ya!

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not so much stupid as it is predictable, I'm afraid. :-\

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

Ah, 40hz! Ever the optimist~! :)

(Not that I can point fingers or anything!)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I must admit, when it comes to mobile internet here in the UK, its VERY simple.  We have countless options.  My carrier (3 Mobile) offers it on PAYG (pay as you go) bundled with their packages.  Truly unlimited (NO fair usage) usage of thier HSDPA network, plus 300 minutes any network (calls) and 3000 SMS (any network) for £15/month.  I will admit, this carrier is the only one that offers truly unlimited, but as for other networks, if you want mobile broadband with them via your cell, you just connect to the internet via your phone (or call them and pick a deal first), alternitavely you can buy a mobile broadband USB dongle from any phone shop or supermarket.  Also, if you live in one of the 'zones' you can simply connect to one of many internet hotspots available to the public, for which you simply pay online via credit card (using their portal) or you can purchase time at most stores.  Also, most restraunts/fast food places/pubs also offer free wi-fi, which, if you live local to one, you can just login to :P  This coupled with the fact, half the networks in the UK (that I have seen) have no security on them, you can easily be connected 24/7 no matter what your location haha.

Gotta love the UK for that fact...even if they are taking a lifetime to rollout 4G and are only offering 98% coverage in 2013, which isnt good, especially when 3G is 99.8% coverage of the UK (Might even be 99.9% now)

The US is the PREMIERE market for everything. That means that if shit is going to happen, shit happens there first. (Mostly.) Then that shit gets pushed out to the rest of the world.

Everyone copies the US. The US has some of the worst legislation in the world that allows corporate psychopathy to run rampant and rape indiscriminately.

Carbon copy that everywhere else... The world is a mess. Thank you Uncle Sam.

Not when it comes to coverage or cell connections, or even high speed internet connections. The UK is 20 steps ahead :P

Most households can get 30mb/s cable, a lot of those can get 50mb/s and quite a lot can even get 100mb/s

Very few landline broadband providers (Be it cable ot otherwise) have fair usage policies, and those that do, simply ask you to pay an extra fee (usually around £5/month) to remove it.  :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Not when it comes to coverage or cell connections, or even high speed internet connections. The UK is 20 steps ahead :P

Most households can get 30mb/s cable, a lot of those can get 50mb/s and quite a lot can even get 100mb/s

Very few landline broadband providers (Be it cable ot otherwise) have fair usage policies, and those that do, simply ask you to pay an extra fee (usually around £5/month) to remove it.  :D

I wanted to comment, but I'm going to be offensive if I do. Nothing you said, but I just can't comment on national infrastructure without being blatantly offensive.

I'd not meant that comment to be about infrastructure. I'd meant products. Sorry for the confusion.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Ah, 40hz! Ever the optimist~! :)

(Not that I can point fingers or anything!)

I ain't cynical. I'm just 'experienced.' ;D