ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft goes all Apple with a Kill Switch for Apps under Win8

<< < (2/5) > >>

IainB:
It's all a matter of credibility and trust.
-wraith808 (December 08, 2011, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
I agree.
I'm not that credulous though.

Renegade:
It's all a matter of credibility and trust.
--- End quote ---
I agree.
I'm not that credulous though.
-IainB (December 08, 2011, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahaha~! ;D

Isn't this basically what AV software is for?

I don't like the idea of being able to delete *anything*. Virus? Sure. Anything else? Hardly.

I suppose that I would feel more comfortable if there were a user mechanism to activate/deactivate it that couldn't be accessed except by a human, and preferably at the machine. Then again, that might just be a pipe dream... :(

zridling:
Call it corporate computing, whether you're subject to an OS or the Cloud (amazon/google, etc.). Either way, if they can remotely delete apps, they can also remotely delete content in preparation for SOPA. One example: I have playlists on YouTube, but just about every time I revisit them, some (or several companies) have plastered a big fat TAKE DOWN notice on the page where the video used to be, making some claim to its distribution, viewing, or playback limitations. One video had five different companies objecting to it being online. Mind you, not the amateur video itself, but a piece of content in the video!

If you don't think groups like MPAA, RIAA, et al. through ACTA/SOPA/DMCA legislation will not enable corporations to do the same to your computer, I have some imaginary credit default swaps to sell you. To hell with them, I'm occupying my computer! (And yes, go Linux, or whatever else isn't trying to prosecute your HD.)

capitalH:
It's all a matter of credibility and trust.  And in this area, it seems that Apple actually has been more responsible than Google, i.e. Google has used their kill switch *multiple* times, and Apple has *never* used theirs.  If you have it for security concerns and manage it well, i.e. you have a pretty solid vetting system in your store, and you only use it if its a clear and present danger to the users, I can see this as useful.
/quote]

Though to be fair Apple blocks apps they see as a threat at the source (both for security and for market dominance).-wraith808 (December 08, 2011, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
It's all a matter of credibility and trust.  And in this area, it seems that Apple actually has been more responsible than Google, i.e. Google has used their kill switch *multiple* times, and Apple has *never* used theirs.  If you have it for security concerns and manage it well, i.e. you have a pretty solid vetting system in your store, and you only use it if its a clear and present danger to the users, I can see this as useful.
--- End quote ---

Though to be fair Apple blocks apps they see as a threat at the source (both for security and for market dominance).
-capitalH (December 09, 2011, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. (Apple has pulled many apps from their store after the fact - as for wiping, not sure...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version