ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft goes all Apple with a Kill Switch for Apps under Win8

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
Microsoft: We Can Remotely Delete Windows 8 Apps
Like Apple and Google, Windows Store will include a 'kill switch' to disable or eliminate rogue apps
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9222518/Microsoft_We_can_remotely_delete_Windows_8_apps
"In cases where your security is at risk, or where we're required to do so for legal reasons, you may not be able to run apps or access content that you previously acquired or purchased a license for," said Microsoft in the Windows Store terms. "In cases where we remove a paid app from your Windows 8 Beta device not at your direction, we may refund to you the amount you paid for the license," Microsoft added. The company also noted that along with the app, it may also scrub data created by the app from a device. "If the Windows Store, an app, or any content is changed or discontinued, your data could be deleted or you may not be able to retrieve data you have stored," Microsoft said.

40hz:
One word: Linux

IainB:
One word: Linux
-40hz (December 08, 2011, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
You may well be right.    :Thmbsup:

This sort of corporate domination and control over what is MY client device and MY data is detestable and wholly unacceptable.
Yes, Apple/Jobs were the latest or most recent good examples of such legal corporate psychopathy.
But before that though, I think Amazon had shown the direction to take when, in July 2009, they remotely deleted people's copies of the book 1984 from their Kindles. (A rather ironic act that, if you happen to have read 1984.)

Renegade:
Oh god...

I'm screaming inside... It's deafening... Quite literally, my ears are now ringing...

wraith808:
It's all a matter of credibility and trust.  And in this area, it seems that Apple actually has been more responsible than Google, i.e. Google has used their kill switch *multiple* times, and Apple has *never* used theirs.  If you have it for security concerns and manage it well, i.e. you have a pretty solid vetting system in your store, and you only use it if its a clear and present danger to the users, I can see this as useful.

Also, note that this is *only* for stuffs sold through their store from what I understand.  If you install software as normal, this doesn't apply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version