ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Cody got into the electrical cables again .. Server went down on 12/8/11

<< < (2/6) > >>

Renegade:
It took a long time.

I don't know WTF is up with the Seattle data center... I'm in Texas, and never have any problems there. None.

Isn't this like the second time they've had that same problem?

rgdot:
Thanks mouser and Gothic

mahesh2k:
I thought cody took my Alien vs Cody image seriously  :P

IainB:
Actually it was the entire hosting company (Softlayer) network where the DC server lives.. They lost power for a while.
-mouser (December 07, 2011, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it normal for hosting companies to have power outages?
If so, then maybe I am missing something here, because I don't understand that.
By training, whenever I have been involved in setting up data centres, I have had to ensure that the risk mitigation plan always insists on there being at least four basic built-in redundancies (i.e., quite apart from computer system redundancies):

* dual/backup air conditioning systems.
* dual telecomms links (using two different telco suppler networks).
* onsite single or dual backup diesel power generators - which automatically kick in when the power dies/fluctuates.
* interim UPS (batteries) for server systems. (This supply allows sufficient time for the generators to get up to full capacity after they automatically kick in.)
If your hosting contract expressly excludes these things, then presumably you would receive service at a significant discount.

mouser:
the crazy thing is we are paying for an expensive hosting company (softlayer) specifically because they are supposed to be one of the most reliable companies with the best redundancies, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version