ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CNET Download Installer Changes

<< < (5/5)

40hz:
The real problem with bundling is it's just another form of "monetizing."

And "monetizing" is (to me) a fundamentally sneaky way of trying to make some money by talking around rather than openly trying to sell something.

Dunno. In my (admittedly personal) scheme of things, it just strikes me as an intrinsically deceptive approach to doing business. And one which provides far too many opportunities for abuse.

I'm truly starting to long for the days when it used to be: The price for this software is $xxx. If you want to use our software, pay the price we've asked. Otherwise, you can't use our software. We're sorry if some of you can't afford it. But that's the way it is.

That was called "selling."

It was great. You knew exactly what the deal was and, more importantly, exactly who you were dealing with.

Contrast that with "monetizing" and "bundling." :)

Renegade:
The real problem with bundling is it's just another form of "monetizing."

And "monetizing" is (to me) a fundamentally sneaky way of trying to make some money by talking around rather than openly trying to sell something.

Dunno. In my (admittedly personal) scheme of things, it just strikes me as intrinsically deceptive approach to doing business. And one which provides far too many opportunities for abuse.

I'm truly starting to long for the days when it used to be: The price for this software is $xxx. If you want to use our software, pay the price we've asked. Otherwise, you can't use our software. We're sorry if some of you can't afford it. But that's the way it is.

That was called "selling."

Contrast that with "monetizing." :)
-40hz (December 16, 2011, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

So, should we nix TV, radio, and 99% of the Internet because they don't "sell" anything but rather make money in a round about way through ads?

Seriously. I'd like an answer to that question with a reason/justification.

I do not see any significant difference between getting eyeballs through "software" and getting eyeballs through "content".

40hz:
So, should we nix TV, radio, and 99% of the Internet because they don't "sell" anything but rather make money in a round about way through ads?

Seriously. I'd like an answer to that question with a reason/justification.
-Renegade (December 16, 2011, 07:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Considering the crap that's usually on, would anybody seriously miss it? I mean seriously?

But ok, you did politely ask for a sane and serious response. So I guess I'll have to forego my usual rambling 'down-homey' off-the-top-of-head schtick and actually write something? And preferably something worth reading?

<*GASP!*> ;D

So be it.

I'll see if I can get that done and post it sometime today. (Fingers crossed!)

Be back in a bit. :Thmbsup:
 :)

Renegade:
@40hz - Thanks! I appreciate it! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version