ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kicked Off the Plane for Games

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
Their plane, their rules. Seems very simple to me.
-Eóin (December 13, 2011, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 :Thmbsup:

It's a commercial airline flight. Not at all the same thing as sitting on a bench in a public park that was paid for with tax dollars.

Funny though that this happened to Baldwin who's been shilling for the CapitolOne Venture Card with it's heavy airline promo theme.

Stoic Joker:
Funny though that this happened to Baldwin who's been shilling for the CapitolOne Venture Card with it's heavy airline promo theme.-40hz (December 13, 2011, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Tehehehe ... That's the first thing I thought of when the story hit.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Their plane, their rules. Seems very simple to me.
-Eóin (December 13, 2011, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, yeah, but like sheesh... Can't we be moderately rational?

Would you eat at a restaurant that cranked the air conditioning so that you had to wear your coat, then they bitch at you for wearing your coat? You'd probably never go back.

There's no evidence at all about playing games crashing planes.

At some point I think it's ok to not be irrational in the airline industry.

Anyways, the whole thing is still funny, and I still feel sorry for Baldwin. Good that he stood up to the airline BS though. Maybe at some point they'll wake up and stop with the superstitious silliness.

Darwin:
Meh...

I'm not really all that sympathetic with the airlines.

There's zero evidence to show that playing a game on a phone will cause any sort of interference with any of the planes systems, and the airlines haven't put any effort into it. Instead, it's easier to make a rule/law/mess of it and piss people off. Heck, that creates jobs because you can employ more security and put more people in prisons... But I digress...

Air travel has become one of the most unpleasant experiences. The airlines have fed into it as well, rather than fighting bad legislation. They've taken the path of least resistance. Heck, if it's a PITA to travel with any airline, there's no competitive disadvantage for anyone and no motive or incentive to make things any better.

Sitting at a gate, and having someone repeat some idiotic drivel about how the plane will crash and the end of the world will come... god... Can you blame the guy for being pissed at having to put up with that? Especially when it really and truly is drivel?

Mind you, this is the same industry that thinks it's ok to sexually assault children...  :-\
-Renegade (December 07, 2011, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

According to an Air Canada long haul pilot, the rules surrounding cell phone use have nothing to do with navigation equipment interference and everything to do with revenue. Remember the hyper expensive seat-back phones that used to be on airplanes? He posted about this on a Hewlett-Packard calculator forum that I used to frequent a lot, but of course I cannot find the post!

Regarding Alec Baldwin and Team America - that wasn't him! He read the script and VOLUNTEERED to do his own voice but was turned down. Can't remember where I read that...

Renegade:
According to an Air Canada long haul pilot, the rules surrounding cell phone use have nothing to do with navigation equipment interference and everything to do with revenue. Remember the hyper expensive seat-back phones that used to be on airplanes? He posted about this on a Hewlett-Packard calculator forum that I used to frequent a lot, but of course I cannot find the post!
-Darwin (December 13, 2011, 11:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hate that when I can't find a reference... It's so frustrating!

But I'll take your word for it. It certainly seems "reasonable" as it sort of fit in with the whole infinite growth craze. :D

Regarding Alec Baldwin and Team America - that wasn't him! He read the script and VOLUNTEERED to do his own voice but was turned down. Can't remember where I read that...
-Darwin (December 13, 2011, 11:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting... That seems bizarre...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version