topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I Remember...  (Read 2737 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I Remember...
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:01 PM »
I remember when it used to be considered a common courtesy to tell someone that they'd left their lights on. This prevented them from being stranded later with a dead battery. Now no one does that for fear of looking foolish because most cars have the light on a timer.

I actually just went through this mental exercise in the parking lot, and thought what else have we lost due to technology and the times we live it?

Anybody else remember this one, or something like it?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I Remember...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:11 PM »
A badly closed door, a nearly flat tyre...all things that are not greeted with the expected response over here in Paraguay. Especially when it is a new make/model car. People here are immediately afraid you are to attack/rob/kidnap them (which is unfortunately not an uncommon occurrence here). The funny thing is that if you drive an old 'beater' and you have a problem, people here automatically help out without asking or expecting a thank you.

Differences in the layers of society over here are vast.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:14 PM »
Anybody else remember this one, or something like it?

I distantly remember some sort of building... I remember it was thoroughly enjoyable... I spent a lot of time there as a kid. Saturday mornings and afternoons there if I recall properly... It was full of 1 thing... something... an infinite source of knowledge and entertainment... what was it called...

Oh.

A library.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 04:19 PM »
A badly closed door

*Shudders* - Drove for 2 miles before i noticed that my passenger had got out the rear seats and left the door open...and im talking OPEN, not a single person (including the police car that pulled up next to me at the lights) thought it was a good idea to tell me...good job I stopped for fuel otherwise the I would have probably spent the next hour with it open :/

No idea why the car didn't alert me tbh, there's supposed to be a light on the instrument panel to inform people of these things...  :huh:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:53 PM »
I remember when it used to be considered a common courtesy to tell someone that they'd left their lights on.

I did this the other day, lady was sitting in her car in a parking lot waiting for someone and didn't realise her lights were on, (daughter left them on).

The same day a 3 ton van pulled out in front of us and his rear door swung open, the guy in the lane beside us raced up next to him and started blowing his horn and pointing to the back of his van - he got the message.

I think we're still reasonably courteous about these kind of things here in Australia.

A library.

As for the library, my wife and I use it all the time - why not?  We pay for it, it has resources that would cost us more for if we wanted them at home.

What I do remember is how interesting work used to be, (as a communications technician), before all this globalisation bullshit, before "World's Best Practise" crap, before SJ's dreaded flowchart monkeys took over, before all the team building rubbish, before statistics were more important than the person, (both customer and employee), before it became S.O.P. that it was someone else's responsibility/problem, (ie. back in the 1990s).