ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Question re the verification process speed at the beginning of a Genie Backup

(1/3) > >>

JeffK:
I've already posted this on the Genie-Soft forums but someone here might be able to help also.

I have a 20 GB partition which is almost full which I am backing up with Genie. I took a full backup and then take incremental backups every few days. I'm a bit bemused by the amount of time that Genie takes to do the "verification" step at the beginning of the backup process. Given that I only want to incrementally back up a few new and changed files should I not expect Genie to find and copy them easily rather than go through and process every file on the partition again?

Any comments would be welcome. I'm not sure I'm not doing something wrong.

Thanks, Jeff

Carol Haynes:
How will it know which files have changed if it doesn't look?

JeffK:
It seems to look at every file.  I would have thought it just needed to look at wheher the archive bit is set.  It seems to take as long in that verification process for an incremental backup as it does for the full backup.

Jeff

Carol Haynes:
To look at the archive bit it will need to look at every file. The only alternative is to have a background process running that keeps a list of files as they change.

JeffK:
What I am trying to say is that it is so slow.  Accessing every file to verify or populate the backup list is one thing but just checking the FAT? for changed archive bits should be a lot faster.  It seems to me it is doing some sort of file integrity check.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version