ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

attack of uggs

(1/4) > >>

eleman:
About the recent spammer activity... I was thinking... A good idea would be to make new members wait for 12 hours or so before allowing them to post new topics. Replies would be allowed though. Just an idea. Don't know how that can be done.

edited for grammar.

jgpaiva:
Usually we don't have enough spam to compensate the number of hassle that would create, I think.
Many members join to create a new thread about a bug, coding snack request or just to introduce themselves (or thank for a program).
Also, many of the bots actually register like 1month before making the first post, so I guess it wouldn't be much help.

However, I did notice that today there seems to be more spam than usual making it past the registration process. I have no idea why this is happening, though.

Renegade:
Yeah... it's getting bad. Blacklist "ugg" maybe?

Waiting might help... Not sure if it's viable though.

mouser:
However, I did notice that today there seems to be more spam than usual making it past the registration process. I have no idea why this is happening, though.
--- End quote ---

yeah.. the amount of spam in the last week that we have to delete has gone through the roof.  it boggles my mind how this can be profitable for these spammers but it seems like they are impervious to logic or reality.

we may have to take extra steps to automate the blocking of these accounts.  i doubt the accounts are being created automatically (though they are most certainly being posted to automatically).  it sounds like we need to put in place an extra step or two to stop these spammers.

jgpaiva:
Actually, after looking at the logs, today looks similar to other days. December 03 and 02, for example, had 6 and 7 spammers respectively,  whereas today there were 8. So it may just be my perception that is fooling me :P

Renegade: Maybe not blacklisting "ugg" (banning a user automatically for using a word sounds dangerous), but maybe we could subject posts containing "suspicious words/expressions" to moderator approval?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version