topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CSS Tweaker for helping to clean up CSS files  (Read 4793 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CSS Tweaker for helping to clean up CSS files
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Where is it?

You go here.

What is it?

It is a free service which takes a .css file and attempts to optimize it. The resulting .css is usually much smaller and less redundant (I believe). However, all the definitions are on one line so it will be difficult to edit it afterward.

You should try and see or yourself. I am sure it will be impoved in the future. I bookmarked it already. :)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CSS Tweaker for helping to clean up CSS files
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:07 AM »
If you select the option to leave your format alone, it won't strip out all the white space.

I was a bit flattered by it -- most of the changes it made were just stripping out comments, which I'd rather leave in there anyway. :)

I think that this is a pretty cool thing, but I wonder -- short of huge, huge, huge stylesheets -- or stylesheets intended for really slow machines/connections, does this really save enough bytes to make it worth the clicks it takes to do it?

I'd written an optimizer of sorts the focussed less on size and more on combinging elements that shared the same attributes, so as to have as few lines to edit as possible.  Too bad that system bit the dust, too lazy to re-write it:)

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 02:28 PM »
I thought it did combine!

I tested it with the marvinclassic style sheet of my site and after breaking that one line up into several lines, it seemed more consise. Might be my imagination or wishful thinking...

I hope the css tweaker will be further improved.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I just ran a "test" again, this time with a different css though. It seemed to have improved and optimized the stylesheet as far as possible. However the css I provided seems to have been quite optimized already.

for reference: This "test" was run on version 0.4 of the css tweaker.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:32 AM »
 :lol:

I just tried again with a handcrafted .css of mine, but it made it only 0% smaller if I told to "leave my layout alone!" Maybe, just maybe I am getting better at this.

Although my .css is the fruit of several hours of hard labor: trial & error, edit and validate & validate.