topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: AFT! Blocking Google Nonsense is HERE!  (Read 8996 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
AFT! Blocking Google Nonsense is HERE!
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Oh god... it's about ****ing time...

Google is just full of s**t. But they've got this now:

Screenshot - 2011-12-07 , 1_56_09 AM.png

Screenshot - 2011-12-07 , 1_55_18 AM.png

If you go back to Google, you may see the first one there. The second is after blocking.

That's going to be VERY useful!

I so hate dirty SEO scumbags... Like why would you lure me to your site when nothing you have is remotely relevant? Sheesh...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: AFT! Blocking Google Nonsense is HERE!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46 AM »
@Renegade
"Manage blocked sites" looks like you need to be constantly googled-in. Am I right?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:59 AM »
@Renegade
"Manage blocked sites" looks like you need to be constantly googled-in. Am I right?
-fenixproductions (December 06, 2011, 09:46 AM)

Maybe. Not sure. Just glad that finally I can block the SEO spammers.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Only if you're logged into google..

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:23 PM »
So this is basically the same thing as Personal Blocklist but without requiring the extension?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:44 PM »
So this is basically the same thing as Personal Blocklist but without requiring the extension?
Well, I don't think it's quite the same thing as as that.
I mean, I have the FF add-ons NoScript and ABP (AdBlock Plus), which seem to block/disable all such ads by default. (I also use Ghostery, which blocks the advertisers' data-gathering links, and I have ad-blocking in Gmail etc..)
My whole online browsing experience is thus generally pretty much ad-free and has been for years.
So I never seem to see these sorts of ads. that @Renegade writes of, unless I deliberately enable them. I don't even need think that much about it nowadays, I have become so used to having things this way.

So, where @Renegade writes:
- I can't really understand it. I can only suppose that he maybe doesn't have the ad-blocking features in his browser that I (and lots of others) have.

Nevertheless the feature that he is writing about evidently seems to be a handy - albeit belatedly courteous - extension by Google.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:51 PM »
@Deozaan, tested. It is doing the same thing. It filters the specific domains listed on that list.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:09 PM »
Only if you're logged into google..
So nothing for me since I am always trying to keep Google off as much as possible (even blocking their search cookies).
AFAIR I was not happy when I had discovered it logs of ALL my queries (search history was ON by default few years ago).

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Oh god... it's about ****ing time...

Google is just full of s**t. But they've got this now:
 (see attachment in previous post)
 (see attachment in previous post)
If you go back to Google, you may see the first one there. The second is after blocking.

I so hate dirty SEO scumbags... Like why would you lure me to your site when nothing you have is remotely relevant? Sheesh...

You could get your own back on them...

Spoiler
instead of blocking, just click the link, then close the site...that way they have to pay ^_^

Failing that, find an auto-clicker, then hit their unique google link, so they end up paying a fortune for no real results ;)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I wonder if Google is going to use the blocking as feedback to their scoring engine?

(And I wonder if it's a good idea for them to do that...)
- carpe noctem

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 10:24 PM »
I can only suppose that he maybe doesn't have the ad-blocking features in his browser that I (and lots of others) have.

To be honest, I've given up on extensions. Most of the ones that I've used have simply been horrible. IF they even work, they grind the browser to a halt very quickly.

I used to use a few, but simply got sick of the sluggishness. I have far fewer problems with just the simple, stock browser. Some things I'll install, but ONLY if they're 1,000% necessary and I can't live without them, e.g. Firebug.

I still think that this is in part due to extensions using JavaScript. I simply loathe the language. It's just not a good language for the web anymore. It's slow and destroys the user experience far too easily with umpteen trillion "web developers" <insert profanity here /> writing quadrillions of lines of code for every web page.

Pages simply have far too much scripting in them now. And JavaScript isn't the right thing to deal with that. It's procedural. It's not an OO language. It fakes OO, but it's not. HTML is declarative. Like how does a procedural language fit with a declarative one? XML/XSL/XSLT works very nicely together because you have a functional language working with a declarative one. They work well together. They're elegant.

I recently TRIED to read a CNET news article... Nearly impossible. The page was so heavy with crap in it that I could barely scroll. No problems elsewhere. (I just installed another 8 GB of RAM in this box as well.) Bad page.

I just don't have the patience to deal with <insert more profanity here /> insanity on the web.

I just want the pages to render quickly so that I can quickly get through what I want/need on them, then GTFO.

Now, I have used some extensions that actually were pretty decent, but when push came to shove, they still slowed things down too much.

If we're going to have a hundred kajillon burble-farts of scripts running on every page, something a bit more sane than JavaScript would make the web a much better experience.

I think Microsoft really had it right with their basic architecture for running code in a web page. BHOs simply perform beautifully. Compiled plugins just work. I'm not saying "lets' run lots of ActiveX" or anything like that. I just mean that they had things working better.

If browsers are going to do heavy lifting, they need heavy lifting tools. JavaScript isn't for heavy lifting.

Then again, I could just be far less patient than most people...

</end rant> :P

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 12:33 AM »
Failing that, find an auto-clicker, then hit their unique google link, so they end up paying a fortune for no real results...
That looks like rather a nifty idea. I wonder if the Google people haven't already thought of that one?

@Renegade: Interesting rant.
I agree, any FF add-ons seem to slow the thing down. Same for Chromium add-ons - they seem to be even worse (slower).
To compensate, I hardly browse the web much nowadays - at least, not in any random browsing manner.
I feed all the sites I am likely to be interested in into my feed aggregator (Google reader), filter out duplicate items, and search/scan the rest for items of interest. When I decide to go to read agiven web page, all the ad-blocking is enabled.
As for CNET, yep it is horrible. But it doesn't look too bad after all the ad garbage has been filtered out, and it looks really quite nice (made just how you like it) when viewed with the FF add-on Reader 2.0 and your customised colours/fonts. Ah! Bliss for the eyes.

What annoys me about this though is that the admen have hijacked the Internet and are pumping all this garbage noise down to our modems/routers, and we are paying with our money for the bandwidth utilisation and with our time for the browser lag to filter it all out again.
I still reckon the JunkBuster approach was the most effective, efficient and least wasteful of resources. As far as I understood it, that just stopped the garbage at the source webserver you client was communicating with. I think the advertisers must have somehow "fixed" the authors of that software though. It was too effective at what it did.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:42 AM »
Fodder, as per SEOMoz guys yes google is using that data to make search results more personalized and use the blocked sites data for filtering them out of search engines.

As for that add-on on chrome, recent policy changes expect us to share that data with google servers or else they're going to disable that plugin. So basically that add-on and logged in blocking pretty much is under googles control.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 02:00 AM »
When did Google start previewing the search results on the side of the page? :huh:

Google Search Preview.pngAFT! Blocking Google Nonsense is HERE!

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 02:31 AM »
I think preview was released during early Feb or march this year.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 08:57 AM »
When did Google start previewing the search results on the side of the page? :huh:
Also, for those that are unaware (I only found out about this last week), that's also where the links for cached pages are, now.