topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: List of freeware and other releases from The Windows Club  (Read 9711 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
List of freeware and other releases from The Windows Club
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:23 AM »
At the risk of duplication, I thought this latest list could be interesting/useful to DCF members.
Quite a selection of tools here: List of freeware and other releases from The Windows Club

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: List of freeware and other releases from The Windows Club
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:29 AM »
 :Thmbsup: Thanks IainB for the link and it is bookmarked!  there is a lot of useful tools in there. 

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Thanks for the link :)  

I noticed a few ebooks in the list:

The Complete Windows 7 Shortcuts eBook includes a lot of new keyboard shortcuts that are unknown to a new user. This eBook comprises of more than 200 keyboard shortcuts containing almost all the keyboard shortcuts that are available in Windows 7 and its default programs like Paint, WordPad, MS Office, Calculator, Help, Media Player, Media Center, Windows Journal, Internet Explorer, etc.

Windows 7 for Beginners eBook which covers topics which would typically interest a novice wanting to start using Windows 7 or a beginner trying to get his hands wet on Windows 7.

C# Tips, Tricks for Beginners eBook will help you learn the basics of C sharp programming, tips, tricks tutorials the easy way.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:02 AM by ewemoa »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:37 AM »
I grabbed the shortcuts book to see if I was missing any (I love keyboard shortcuts). Thanks guys!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 02:11 PM »
Well, I have been slowly going through the list of proggies and documentation that I posted about.
It looks like Quite an Aladdin's Cave of treasures! (Rather like DC!)

I have tried out FixWin - which took a while to scan my system and then told me there was nothing wrong with it.
It seemed to be using MS TrustedInstaller.exe a lot to somehow do the checking.

I am going to try out: (and shall post any comments in this thread)
  • QRM Plus Manager
  • Spoiler
    QRM Plus Manager lets you create restore points, carry out system restore operations & selectively delete system restore points in your Windows computer. You can also add these options to your right-click context menu.

• System Restore Manager
  • Spoiler
    System Restore Manager is a freeware portable utility which allows you to completely manage your Windows system restore points and customize its options. Using this utility, you can even select a Drive and change the maximum amount of disk space to use, System Restore can use, change the System Restore Point Creation Interval, change the Restore Point Time to Live and more!

• Gpedit Installer
  • Spoiler
    Gpedit Installer will add the Group Policy Editor or Gpedit.msc in Windows 7 Home Premium, Home Basic and Starter Editions.

I only went to this list to look up any updates to the Windows Club UWC (Ultimate Windows Customizer) - which I posted about separately on DCF. (UWC seems to be still in ß, but already looks potentially quite useful.)
By the way, I see that there is RightClick Restart Explorer in the list.
Spoiler
RightClick Restart Explorer is a simple tool that adds Restart explorer to your right-click context menu.

RE was the useful utility that is included with UWC, that I mentioned in my separate post. When it restarts Windows Explorer, it restores any missing Systray icons that should be displaying but weren't. (Seems to be a bug in Win7.)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23 PM »

-doesn't work on my 32-bits Vista Home Premium  :(

2011-12-04_212222.gif

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:33 PM »
-doesn't work on my 32-bits Vista Home Premium  :(

That's odd. It should - shouldn't it?
Though I haven't tried it out (I don't want that in my Right-click menu), I thought these Windows Club apps would have all worked for Vista and Win7.
Out of interest, have you run FixWin? I only ask as that may discover some reason why RightClick Restart Explorer doesn't work for your peculiar installation.
EDIT 2011-12-05 1114hrs: Have you tried Restart Explorer (bundled with Ultimate Windows Customizer) on its own? - i.e., does it work for you? It worked fine for me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:16 PM by IainB »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Have you tried Restart Explorer (bundled with Ultimate Windows Customizer)

-no... because of the many third party programs I have of the kind:

ULTIMATE WINDOWS CUSTOMIZER

If you have used any other applications or manual hacks to Customize Windows, it is highly advised that you reverse these changes before running UWC.

This is due to the fact that upon First Run, UWC will generate Backups of the Current Files\Registry Settings to allow the user to revert back to Default. Due to the wide nature of Customizations, this is the only option to revert back to Default.

AND because of this:

2011-12-05_000522.gif

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:18 PM »
copy-paste the following in a Notepad and and save it (All files) as a .bat file. Name it RestartExplorer.bat, if you wish!

@echo off
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start explorer.exe

Thats it!
-How to restart Explorer