ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Ad Muncher: keeps the brain intact while surfing the Net - beats AdBlock!

<< < (12/15) > >>

Josh:
vegas, from what I have read this will come later but will likely incur another charge to be able to use. And yes, I too am very disappointed at the extremely slow pace of development. Here are just a few of the "promised" features from AM:

* 64-bit extensions
* HTTP 1.1 Support
* Per-Site Filtering
* Regex filters
* Per-Site/Filter Statistics
* gzip support
* USB Drive capabilities
I am also disappointed that during this development, read slow development, they choose to alienate users who choose to stick with the latest stable release by not providing them updates. Yes, I have never had a problem with an AM beta, but I know several people who fear the word beta regardless of how stable the author claims it to be. Ad Muncher is one of those tools which, even in final release, can cause a page not to load just by having it enabled due to a bug which might exist. This has happened to me on numerous occasions and turns on to be a programming error such a hung mutex or something similar. I personally feel that updates should be provided for the latest stable release until the next one is put out. If the beta is as stable as they say, release it as a new point, or dot, release and remove the beta tag!

They at least learned their lesson about future OS development as they added Windows 7 support PRIOR to it's release as opposed to how they added vista support 1 year after vista's release. 64 bit computing has been out for a while and AM still has no support for it. USB support is a feature which should be HIGH on the priority list given that you can use firefox and opera with ad blocking capabilities on ANY MACHINE you choose. I was given permission back in the day to use AM on a USB drive by Murray but this proved to be more of a pain in the butt as you have to reactivate ad muncher every time you plugin the USB device.

I am actually starting to like/learn ad block and how to use it's filters and am getting pretty satisfied with it's performance as well. This is all being spurred by the extremely slow development pace this team has. Sorry AM, I am moving on.

app103:
Josh, if you remember back to the AOL ad problem I reported, and even graciously allowed access to one of my screen names for investigation (that's more trust than most people would have), gzip support was promised in the "next version" to take care of the issue, which never happened. (we are using that next version now, and I am not referring to the beta)

Hopefully they aren't making more promises they don't plan to keep.

Josh:
I think they are over-promising features which they simply cannot deliver. Murray keeps throwing the excuse, as does Jeff, that they are a two man operation. If that is the case, then perhaps they need to stop saying "This will be ready in version x.xx" or "This will be ready in the next beta" when the next beta isn't actually released for 5 months. Please note that 4.73 has been in beta for 6 months now, Jan 28 2009, meaning that registered users of 4.72 have not been receiving updates since then and are being given no notifications that they need to update to a BETA version in order to receive what they paid for. I don't care how stable an author claims code to be, if it's beta code don't stop support for the latest STABLE release.

And yes, I too have noticed that your AOL issue has gone unresolved despite at least 2 other reports coming in about it. Jeff claims "I do not have an AOL account so I cannot verify". At least that was the answer I got when I tried troubleshooting with him. Pretty poor excuse. They have released debug builds for people to test and find bugs on in the past, I do not understand why they didn't for this one.

Also, please note this quote from Jeff on their forums:

Yes, v4.74 will support filtering of 64 bit applications. A lot of work was done on this before work on Windows 7 support was added to 4.73

We will continue this work on 4.74 as soon as 4.73 is completed.-Jeff
--- End quote ---

64 bit support is supposed to be what 4.73 was about.

Dormouse:
Ad muncher is cool.-superboyac
--- End quote ---

Yes...cool enough to have the development pace of a glacier.  ;D
-Innuendo (June 01, 2009, 10:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course, with global warming, glaciers are gradually disappearing  :(

brotherS:
Since my old system died I didn't use Ad Muncher (or any ad blocker) on my new system, maybe because I didn't frequent sites with very annoying ads so much. Now I want to install Ad Muncher again - I can still access the files on the old HD, is that enough to 'import' the registration?

And I had some really interesting conversations about Ad Muncher with someone from this site, if I recall correctly he knows or knew the guys behind it. Would that someone please PM me? I'm not sure who it was...

Ad muncher is cool.-superboyac
--- End quote ---

Yes...cool enough to have the development pace of a glacier.  ;D
-Innuendo (June 01, 2009, 10:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course, with global warming, glaciers are gradually disappearing  :(
-Dormouse (June 02, 2009, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
And they are picking up speed (while melting away)! Good news for Ad Muncher's development pace? :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version