topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Favorite Text Editor, a revisit  (Read 8085 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Favorite Text Editor, a revisit
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:26 PM »
What's your favorite text editor and why?

It seems people tend to use different wildly different tools for different jobs, but most tend to break down between two camps: lean and quick vs. ultra kitchen sink. Confession: DonationCoder.com's kickass Text Editor Review was what first lured me to the site way back. So I'm just interested in where everyone is at with their text editor. I noticed Veign listed EmEditor as his fav on his blog.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Favorite Text Editor, a revisit
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 11:58 PM »
quoted from here...

just to add my own favourite text-editors combo: Metapad & Notetab. I use metapad as a replacement for notepad but when i need heavy-duty editing tools, I bring out notetab. In fact, metapad has an in-built launcher to view the current document in another editor/browser/word-processor, etc... There is also a version of metapad that can view (not edit) a RTF file, very handy for a quick peek.

As for Notetab, basically it has tabbed interface, adequate text manipulation tools, it's own text macros and many others as explained on the web-site. I first downloaded it back in 1997 and have been stuck with it ever since... ;-)

here the links...
http://liquidninja.com/metapad/
http://www.notetab.com/
-Lanux

regards,
lanux

alexp

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Is cheese the plural of choose?????
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:27 AM »
I used to use notepad++ but after reading the review of it I changed to pspad. However I never really felt "confortable" with it so after about 2-3 months I'm back to notepad++
Why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 07:16 AM »
I've been using Scite, I don't know if I tried any of the others though. Scite is free, uses tabs, highlights parenthesis, and does column selection.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Mine is still EmEditor.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Have used UltraEdit for the past seven years.  It still meets my needs perfectly.  And no, it's not perfect.   ;D
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:59 AM »
I've already mentioned it in half a dozen threads, but I'm absolutely stuck on EditPad Pro.  It has all the basic and not-so-basic features you'd expect from a text editor.

Most big text/programming editors have generally the same feature set, the real difference is a matter of subtlety--what you need and/or what you're used to.  For me, the real kickers--what keeps me with the same program--is not so much the features but the editor itself.  It's text editing engine in general really feels like its first and foremost purpose is text processing -- everything else is gravy.  From efficient keyboard navigation to conversion routines to the absolute best regex support on the market. (Regex find/replace features a multi-line text entry area with syntax hilighting, much better than the single <30 char input box most offer) -- and a key thing for me is (optional) persistent selections and inherent add ons to it (ctrl+m to move the selection to your cursor, ctrl+d to duplicate the selected text, etc.).

A few other perks for me -- most of the features are available  settings can be stored in an ini file making the application totally portable, there's an application for making custom syntax hilighting schemes (comes in handy for proprietary data formats I use now and again), syntax aware live spelling, external tools -- and whatever else you might think of.  The few things that weren't there are implemented in the upcoming version 6 -- whose beta is really stable and sexy, right now :)

Finally, to my delight, the text processing engine for EditPad is also in JGSoft's other applications--which also integrate into one another in a number of ways, making for a great family of familiar applications--RegexBuddy, Power Grep, AceText -- most of which I use ceaselessly, daily.  I feel like a marketeer, at this point . . . I've just been using JGSoft's applications for too long . . . :)

For quickly previewing text, on the other hand, I usually just use Editor2, which is bundled with xplorer2. TED Notepad is nice, too.  My biggest complaint with minimalist editors -- TED, metapad, editor2 -- they all use the registry to store their settings, which drives me nuts.  I like to have the option to drop it on my flash drive and go.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 12:57 AM »
I used Boxer for a lot of years (and I changed the color scheme).  I started with Boxer for DOS, the OS/2 and now Windows.  It has every stinking feature you'd want in an editor and is still being updated. 

See it here: http://www.boxersoftware.com/
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 02:02 AM »
Although I've used EditPlus and EmEditor quite a bit, and even PSPad for a while, I keep going back to UltraEdit because of its text and file handling abilities. No other editor can open large files with ease, and though most people work with smaller files, my contract work has me working with large database files, and among those Gb-sized monsters, UltraEdit is a boon.

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 02:35 AM »
I also found EmEditor is best for my use.  Used to use PSPad before that.

I like EmEditor's ease of use, search term highlighting, javascript/vbscript macro lang, and the excellent unicode and foreign codepages support.  Of course it also has all the standard stuff like regex search, find in files, brackets matching, column selection etc.  Though PSPad is more feature-rich on the programming side with its code explorer, SQL formatter, color dropper, checksum generator etc.

I have also tried UltraEdit.  I found that it has A LOT of options and some of them are kind of confusing.  I found EmEditor's options are more clear.

Another thing with UltraEdit is if you open up an UTF8 file and switched to HEX mode, it wouldn't really show you the correct raw bytes.  It internally converts the file from UTF8 to UTF16 and displays the bytes in UTF16 encoding instead!!!! The filesize is also displayed incorrectly because of the conversion.

I emailed their support and got a reply saying UltraEdit needs to do the internal conversion because some Windows OSes don't support UTF8 natively.  When the file is saved it will be converted back to UTF8 correctly.

Well, while I understand the platform limitation, I argue that a "real" hex viewer/editor should not need to have any knowledge of the underlying encoding and should just display and write out the raw bytes.  But I guess it's not really designed to be used as a real hex editor.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 02:53 AM by taichimaster »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 03:56 AM »
I've already mentioned it in half a dozen threads, but I'm absolutely stuck on EditPad Pro.  It has all the basic and not-so-basic features you'd expect from a text editor.

Have to say I agree - I have tried a lot of the editors mentioned in this thread but always seem to come back to EditPad Pro. It may be that I just feel more comfortable with it from use but I can't help that.