Latest FARR Release 2.221.01 BETA - April 22, 2015 - DonationCoder.com
HOME | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate
Click here to
donate and join now!
Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 25, 2015, 04:47:04 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Learn about the DonationCoder.com microdonation system (DonationCredits).

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Latest FARR Release 2.221.01 BETA - April 22, 2015  (Read 262703 times)
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #600 on: April 23, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »

Win 8.1 pro on laptop with high dpi screen:
- no icons

ok i need some assistance -- i just installed farr on a win8 virtual machine and i see icons.
what settings do you have that you think might be responsible for icons not showing?  can you give me any more info -- does it show no icons in any scenario, whether the icons are from typing "cpanel" alias or from browsing directories?
can you check that you have icons in windows explorer?

I see icons both with cpanel and directory browsing, but not with regular application searching. Can't tell you about options though. The options dialog is so tiny it hurts my eyes trying to read it  Wink

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #601 on: April 23, 2015, 02:12:43 PM »

, but not with regular application searching
ok so that suggests to me that the problem is with shortcut icon lookup..

can you redownload and try new beta i just uploaded?
phitsc
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #602 on: April 23, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »

Beta doesn't want to be downloaded right now. I'll try again tomorrow.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #603 on: April 23, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »

nod5?
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #604 on: April 24, 2015, 02:11:05 AM »

Mouser, for some reasone I still can't download the beta. Gets stuck about halfway through.

phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #605 on: April 24, 2015, 03:25:45 AM »

Still no shortcut icons with v2.221.01.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #606 on: April 24, 2015, 08:26:55 AM »

Wow that surprises me.. Ok I must be overlooking something.
Thanks for the testing, I'll have a new version to test soon -- I'll get this fixed.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #607 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:39 AM »

Running FARR v2.221.01 Beta in Win8.1-64 PRO, on a laptop.
I just noticed the correct icons were missing too. I don't usually look for the icons, so had not realised they were blank squares document rectangles.

EDIT: 2015-04-25 1559hrs:
Here's an example.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:03:27 PM by IainB; Reason: Correction, and added an image as an example. » Logged
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #608 on: April 24, 2015, 09:36:57 AM »

Wow that surprises me.. Ok I must be overlooking something.
Thanks for the testing, I'll have a new version to test soon -- I'll get this fixed.
If there's anything specific you want me to check out let me know.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #609 on: April 24, 2015, 06:43:14 PM »

can you take a look at a shortcut (or two) where farr does not show the icon properly, and look at the properties of it, and tell me if you see anything interesting?
is it a 64bit app? do 32bit apps show icons?  any clue you can give me about which shortcuts dont show icons and which do..
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #610 on: April 24, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »

if someone is willing to run a debug version and do some back and forth emails with me this weekend to try to track down the problem in log files it would be appreciated.
email me at: mouser@donationcoder.com
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #611 on: April 24, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »

But of course the best thing would be if i could duplicate the problem.

Here's an idea -- can someone with bad icons on win8 do a search that finds a built-in windows 8 app that should have an icon but doesn't, and then give me a screenshot so i can try to reproduce the problem here?

For example, searching for Notepad and Wordpad give blank icons?
wut?!
Supporting Member

Grainy and juicy.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #612 on: April 24, 2015, 09:28:47 PM »

I'm running 8.1, but I am unable to find any icons which don't display correctly. Are there any common offenders I can try? Notepad and Wordpad both work.

Sorry for the unhelpful "working-for-me" post.
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #613 on: April 24, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »

I just made a correction, and added an image as an example, to my post above.
Sorry. I should have given an example when I made the post.

However, the "blank" icons all seem to be God Mode functions or non-applications related, so maybe they are correct (i.e., displayed as they should be).   tellme
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:16:06 PM by IainB » Logged
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #614 on: Today at 03:56:48 AM »

can you take a look at a shortcut (or two) where farr does not show the icon properly, and look at the properties of it, and tell me if you see anything interesting?
is it a 64bit app? do 32bit apps show icons?  any clue you can give me about which shortcuts dont show icons and which do..

Both the Word and Wordpad links have no icon. Might be the icons are only missing in large icon mode. How can I force small icon view?

phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #615 on: Today at 03:57:23 AM »

Any idea how to fix the DPI problem? The current FARR version is unusable like this on my 4k laptop.

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #616 on: Today at 04:32:47 AM »

Any idea how to fix the DPI problem? The current FARR version is unusable like this on my 4k laptop.
The FARR->Options screen is almost unusable on my laptop now as well. Very small text. I was thinking it was my eyes that were the problem, but no.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #617 on: Today at 05:15:30 AM »

Can you guys try the new beta (2.222.2), which i'm sure will break something but lets see what it does for the high DPI issue and windows 7 icons.  Let me know.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:22:09 AM by mouser » Logged
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #618 on: Today at 07:36:13 AM »

That file installed v2.222.02 Beta, which started up with:
"Warning: Init common.com controls failed to initiate"
- or something.
A screenshot of the whole screen and showing FARR->Options tab shows Options to be of much the same miniscule variety as in v2.221.01 Beta. There is a difference, but it is not any better.

This screenshot is per v2.222.02:

This screenshot is per v2.221.01:

The miniscule size of the Options panel is not apparent in the screenshot as viewed on this page, since it enlarges the image.
If the Options panel were actually the size/scale of that image, then it would not be difficult to read.
However, the screenshots do enable one to compare the (very) minor differences between the panels.

I reverted to v2.221.01 Beta after doing this comparison.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:46:50 AM by IainB » Logged
phitsc
Honorary Member

« Reply #619 on: Today at 03:01:03 PM »

Sorry mouser. For some reason I can't download the beta. Stops half-way through. Last time clearing the browser cache helped, but not this time. I really don't understand what's wrong. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Pages: Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0.02 ]

Share on Facebook
submit to reddit