topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox add-on - MAFIAAFire now adds "PirateBay Danciing" - quick review  (Read 12042 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A clever Firefox add-on - it always seemed to me that MAFIAAFire Redirector was an intelligent response to the corporate psychopathic (QED) dinosaurs' efforts to impose their outmoded business model on us all by limiting freedom on the Internet.
This seems to me like just another form of Fascism, and it is fortunate that Mozilla have reputedly refused to be coerced by the RIAA/DHS to take down the add-on.

The "sister" add-on MAFIAAFIRE: Gee! No evil! is clever too. I intensely dislike that Google were apparently obliged by the likes of the RIAA/DHS to discriminate against any terms I might put in my search bar - e.g., "torrent" - by filtering/blocking it.

Now I see that the MAFIAAFire people have introduced the brilliantly simple add-on ThePirateBay Dancing!:

I don't think I have ever used PirateBay (at least, not as far as I am aware) or torrents, but I wholeheartedly support the concept of freedom on the Internet - said freedom seems to be getting progressively eroded by corporations in cahoots with government. But not yet the Swiss government, it seems.

For an amusing music artiste's take on this, if you haven't already done so, then you could always download Weird Al Yankovic's "Don't Download This Song" mp3 from his website. There's a YouTube version as well, I gather. It was released in 2006. I think I downloaded it in 2009. My daughter Lily likes it and thinks it is funny too.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And then there is the lovely RIAA Radar to help you avoid purchasing any music produced by any label that is a member of the RIAA. No extensions or plugins needed, works in any browser. Just pop in an artist, album, or label name into the search box and it will tell you what is safe to buy and what is not. Good for if you really care where your money is going.

But if you want to make it even easier, there is a greasemonkey script available that will put the status right on albums at amazon.com.

Screenshot - 12_2_2011 , 9_42_23 PM.pngFirefox add-on - MAFIAAFire now adds "PirateBay Danciing" - quick review

Just install the 2nd one listed here (first one is a dud): http://www.riaaradar...elp.asp#greasemonkey

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thankyou, @app103!        :Thmbsup:
I was downloading some single tracks (mp3s) of music for my daughter Lily a while back and wishing I had something like this.

That's just one more good thing about this forum - there are a bunch of knowledgeable people about who often have useful/helpful tips like this, sometimes exactly what you were seeking an answer to.
Now I can vote with my feet and my wallet as well as my PC.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I also have a Sherlock search plugin for Firefox that I made for RIAA Radar years ago, but you have to manually install it by dropping the files in the correct folder (and I can't remember which folder that would be). Never made a way to install it from the web, but when I finally get around to rewriting my site, I probably will (and add some of my other search plugins, too).

http://appsapps.info/mozillasearch.php

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But if you want to make it even easier, there is a greasemonkey script available that will put the status right on albums at amazon.com.

Now that is damn cool! Thanks App. :)

- Oshyan

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interestingly, I noticed today that my trusty MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) was blocking access to MAFIAAFire.com.

So I did a search, yet could find nothing "wrong" with that website, and these refernce points gave no indication of any issues with the website:

Now, I don't know how long the website  has been blocked by MBAM, but to me this looks suspiciously like stealthy censorship, so I made the IP address 37.46.125.152 an exception in MBAM, and that fixed it.
I also found that http://www.ilovemafiaafire.net/ was not responding, and in a search could find nothing useful about it.
EDIT 2014-07-16 1230hrs:
One of our old domains was stolen (ilovemafiaafire.net) by our last scummy webhost and they just have an ads page on that domain, this release takes out any references to that domain      
From <http://mafiaafire.eu/MAFIAA-forum/showthread.php?tid=493>
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:32 PM by IainB »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Now, I don't know how long the website  has been blocked by MBAM, but to me this looks suspiciously like stealthy censorship

I wouldn't be surprised. I've noticed Chrome giving me errors/warnings when I go to some sites. It doesn't happen very often, but... Those sites aren't exactly mainstream, and I can see why someone would want to censor them.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now, I don't know how long the website  has been blocked by MBAM, but to me this looks suspiciously like stealthy censorship

I wouldn't be surprised. I've noticed Chrome giving me errors/warnings when I go to some sites. It doesn't happen very often, but... Those sites aren't exactly mainstream, and I can see why someone would want to censor them.

To me this spills over into a bigger issue, merging "copyright concerns" with "security warnings". I expect a legit "security warning" to be ... about security.

But when the IP gang pressures a browser to report a site as "unsafe" really bugs me, because it tries to play the gen public's honest attempt to be safe, for a few loose ends.

My best example is Primewire.ag showing up in Firefox/related's lists as "an attack site".

Now I'll listen to one of my betters here, but it generally seems like cheap tactics.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just posted this EDIT to my above comment.
EDIT 2014-07-16 1230hrs:
One of our old domains was stolen (ilovemafiaafire.net) by our last scummy webhost and they just have an ads page on that domain, this release takes out any references to that domain      
From <http://mafiaafire.eu/MAFIAA-forum/showthread.php?tid=493>

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To me this spills over into a bigger issue, merging "copyright concerns" with "security warnings". I expect a legit "security warning" to be ... about security.
But when the IP gang pressures a browser to report a site as "unsafe" really bugs me, because it tries to play the gen public's honest attempt to be safe, for a few loose ends.
My best example is Primewire.ag showing up in Firefox/related's lists as "an attack site".
Now I'll listen to one of my betters here, but it generally seems like cheap tactics.

That's interesting. The other day I installed Google Canary (Chrome), on my new laptop - having not used Google Chrome for quite a while since migrating to the new laptop. (I had previously used the developer channel release of Google Chrome on my old laptop.)
I clicked on a URL for a website - I don't recall exactly, but I think it might have been one that was offering a Chrome add-on not available from the official Chrome store, or something - and a WARNING!! screen popped up asking "was I sure I wanted to go there?" or something, and suggesting I bitlify the URL (I could not and do not understand why I would want to do that, or what use it would be) - and there was a button I could press to do that. It also had a warning to the effect "Proceed at your own risk". Now, I was going there anyway, proceeding under my own risk as it were, when this stupid popup had intercepted me - so this was none of their bloody business and apparently simply a stupid scare tactic to discourage me away from that URL.
The trouble is, when it seems as though someone doesn't want me to see/know something, I become suspicious and curious to know what it is that they are trying to hide, as, from experience, people hiding things can often mean that there is something unethical going on.
I shall try and repeat this case and copy details to here or to some more appropriate thread in the forum.
Maybe we should start a discussion thread reporting cases of discovered "Internet Censorship" or something (or is there a suitable discussion thread  already).