ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > LaunchBar Commander

One thought and one possible bug

(1/2) > >>

wrwetzel:
Re: v1.127.01

I am using LBC with Windows 7 as a launcher mainly for portable applications, a few non-portable, and as a replacement for quick-launch icons on the tool bar. It has worked quite well for this.

Possible bug: I'm unable to make a link to a "Node Type: Dock". A link to a "Node Type: Command" works fine. That is, a node of type "Link" with a "Link to Node ID:" of a Command node works fine but with a "Link to Node ID:" of Dock does not. I would like to have entries in one dock point to other docks.

Suggestion: When adding a node for a portable application I find myself continually having to edit an absolute path in the "Icon:" and "Application/Command" text boxes to a relative path. For example, after dragging an application into the dock the Application/Command value is: "C:\Portable\bin\puttyportable\puttyportable.exe". I have to edit it to: "%APPDIR%\..\puttyportable\puttyportable.exe". It would be helpful to have an option to make this change automatically.

Thanks,
Bill Wetzel

mouser:
Possible bug: I'm unable to make a link to a "Node Type: Dock". A link to a "Node Type: Command" works fine. That is, a node of type "Link" with a "Link to Node ID:" of a Command node works fine but with a "Link to Node ID:" of Dock does not. I would like to have entries in one dock point to other docks.
--- End quote ---

A dock cannot be a child of another dock.. so that would be a problem.

What exactly are you wanting to do?  Do you basically want to embed the contents of one dock in another or in a menu?

I could add support for that.. However there is a way you can do it now with a workaround.

If in your dock, you create one menu node and put all of the dock's content under that, and then set this menu node to be of type "Contents as root-level items", you basically get an invisible top level menu that contains all children, even though it has no user interface effect.

This will let you share this "virtual" menu node in other places.

As for your suggestion, that's a good one.. I just have to figure out a good way for LBC to be able to know when to do that.

wrwetzel:
A dock cannot be a child of another dock.. so that would be a problem.

What exactly are you wanting to do?  Do you basically want to embed the contents of one dock in another or in a menu?

--- End quote ---

This is a small point and not worth a lot of effort. The need arises as follows. I have two main docks, one for portable apps, another for installed apps, each bound to a hot key, normally hidden, and exposed by the hot keys. I have a third dock for frequently used programs that I leave visible on the desktop permanently. This takes the place of Windows quick launch icons in the taskbar. I was trying to add nodes in the frequently-used dock to point to the portable and installed docks as a convenience so that I could access them with a mouse-click in the frequently-used dock and not have to go to Windows notification area or type the hot key sequence.

Why can't a dock be a child of another dock, are you afraid of recursion? If so, you could test for it. Or, perhaps it is a more fundamental program structure issue?

Thanks,
Bill Wetzel

mouser:
I guess the question is -- what would it mean for a dock to be the child of another dock? Do you mean that you want the child "dock" to be treated as if it were just a child menu?  Or behave like root level items? Or do you want it to behave like a dock.. and what would that mean?

wrwetzel:
I guess the question is -- what would it mean for a dock to be the child of another dock? Do you mean that you want the child "dock" to be treated as if it were just a child menu?  Or behave like root level items? Or do you want it to behave like a dock.. and what would that mean?
-mouser (December 02, 2011, 02:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah ha, a seemingly simple idea has a lot more to it below the surface. I'm not familiar enough with the vocabulary of LBC and the ramifications of the distinction between a child menu, root-level items, and a dock to give a definitive answer to your question so let me say what I was hoping would happen. When I clicked on the link node in my quick-links dock I was expecting the associated dock to be displayed just as if I clicked on its icon in the notification area or if I typed the hot-key sequence for it. What does that make it?

Bill Wetzel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version