topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Donations  (Read 7358 times)

xile

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Donations
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:27 AM »
I'm new to the site but you guys should add some surveys to donate to the site for people with lesser incomes. I know some other sites use gambit since they allow donations only there are other ones but I never looked into them for just donations. Hope it helps and I for one would do them even if I do use a free key.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Donations
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:45 AM »
The problem with using survey sites as an alternative means of donating is that most of the survey sites (gambit included) are over-run with scams, malware, and privacy disasters.

As well as viruses and malicious software.
This site features "offers" from "sponsors" that are often questionable in nature for websites, such as Gaiaonline.com, and on applications for Myspace and Facebook. Many of them ask for personal information -even for a simple survey. Many users at Gaiaonline.com have found that the "offers" do not award the credit they are suppose to (usually citing that the offer "didn't log your information correctly" or that "they couldn't verify your information") and that most of them install spyware, malware, and viruses on your computer when you visit the site or download anything for the "offers".

I personally wouldn't want to subject anyone to that and don't feel it would be in the best interest of our community to send DC members there for an alternative method of donating to the site. I would not be able to sleep peacefully knowing that someone gave away personal info or installed malware from one of those sites in order to fund one of my projects.  I have even talked a few Facebook game developers out of using Gambit for alternatives to paying them money for game perks.

If you can't afford to donate money, it's OK. Enjoy the free key and consider contributing in other ways...like perhaps donate your time to help test software and give feedback, contribute to discussions, spread the word about the site, our software, and community.

Money isn't the only thing that counts around here. We appreciate help and participation just as much. Most of us have adopted the donationware model for funding our software precisely because we know that not everyone can afford to pay and feel that those that can't afford it should not be forced to do so.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Alertpay and Okpay is a good option for those who can't use paypal or amazon. I think mouser should consider them on this site.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 01:05 PM »
Alertpay and Okpay is a good option for those who can't use paypal or amazon. I think mouser should consider them on this site.

The OP wanted us to consider methods of making donations without the user having to transfer actual money...a way for broke people to "donate" with actions rather than cash.

There are services that will allow users to fill out surveys, install software and browser toolbars, join websites, sign up for newsletters, and other "free offers" instead of actually paying money. The service gets paid for the actions of a user and transfers a small percentage of that to the referring site.

They are quite popular with developers of games and apps on sites like Facebook and Myspace, but I have not seen any such service that does not contain a plethora of scams or malware, so I do not recommend them to anyone that cares about their users.

I think anyone that sends their users to such a site is selling them up the river for a few pennies. It is just as bad as putting bundled crapware in your installers.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18 PM »
How about Bitcoin ?

I think anyone that sends their users to such a site is selling them up the river for a few pennies. It is just as bad as putting bundled crapware in your installers.
Agree.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 01:27 PM »
Seems odd to me that the very first post someone makes on the day they join DC is to suggest we get involved with gambit's survey thing. Sorry if I sound suspicious...but I am. Especially since there's a few sites (clothing, games, etc.) just found via Google that do the 'survey thing' and are all prefixed with 'Xile.'

Also +1 w/App. I looked at these things about a year ago for a client. Neither one of us were impressed or comfortable with how they worked. Conclusion: Very Bad Idea.
 8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:37 PM by 40hz »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:01 PM »
If a user really wants to donate money but has no money to donate, I would feel better if they went to either MyPoints and visited a few sites a day for 5 points each, or MySurvey to fill out legitimate consumer product surveys. They are both much more reputable sites than things like Gambit.

When they have enough points to get a "reward" they can convert them to cash and have it deposited into their paypal account. Then they can spend it anywhere they please, including donating it here, if that is what they choose to do.

I happen to use both MyPoints and MySurvey myself, and been paid quite a bit over the years in the form of cash and gift certificates. Yes, it does take awhile to build up enough points for a reward, but I am averaging at least an extra $50/year between the 2 of them that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

How about Bitcoin ?

I have no faith in Bitcoin and won't until some site like Amazon.com accepts it as a form of payment.

Besides, it costs money to generate Bitcoins. Running your PC 24/7 uses extra electricity that you have to pay real money for and overworking your computer shortens its lifespan, causing you to have to spend real money to replace it, sooner than you should. If you can afford the increase in your electric bill or afford to replace your computer more frequently, why not just set aside that amount and donate the real money instead? At least that can be spent in the real world.

Seems odd to me that the very first post someone makes on the day they join DC is to suggest we get involved with gambit's survey thing. Sorry if I sound suspicious...but I am. Especially since there's a few sites (clothing, games, etc.) just found via Google that do the 'survey thing' and are all prefixed with 'Xile.'

I am not as suspicious about it since it is a reasonable question that deserved an answer, in case others wondered why we don't do such things here. The original poster wouldn't likely have anything to gain if we did adopt such an approach, unless he works for Gambit, which would not be likely if he is running sites that give merchandise to people that fill out surveys and install crapware on Gambit.

Also +1 w/App. I looked at these things about a year ago for a client. Neither one of us were impressed or comfortable with how they worked. Conclusion: Very Bad Idea.
 8)

Which is another good reason to answer the OP's question, just in case there are developers considering using a service like that.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 03:18 AM »
If you can afford the increase in your electric bill or afford to replace your computer more frequently, why not just set aside that amount and donate the real money instead? At least that can be spent in the real world.
That's the problem. You've to move real world money via virtual means using payment processors in order to donate. Not all countries are listed in paypal and amazon and not everyone can get credit card around the world. Some countries have paypal with limited features (atleast that applies in my case) so even if you want to donate you can't without a credit card. I got my credit card this year but was nagged by insurance companies and few other investment firms every week. I gave up on my card because i don't want to get into mess of banks and their affiliates. Without credit card there are no means for me to pay for online stuff. I can however workaround this limitation with alertpay and okpay but there are hassles in it too.