ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > DC Website Help and Extras

Donations

(1/2) > >>

xile:
I'm new to the site but you guys should add some surveys to donate to the site for people with lesser incomes. I know some other sites use gambit since they allow donations only there are other ones but I never looked into them for just donations. Hope it helps and I for one would do them even if I do use a free key.

app103:
The problem with using survey sites as an alternative means of donating is that most of the survey sites (gambit included) are over-run with scams, malware, and privacy disasters.

As well as viruses and malicious software.
This site features "offers" from "sponsors" that are often questionable in nature for websites, such as Gaiaonline.com, and on applications for Myspace and Facebook. Many of them ask for personal information -even for a simple survey. Many users at Gaiaonline.com have found that the "offers" do not award the credit they are suppose to (usually citing that the offer "didn't log your information correctly" or that "they couldn't verify your information") and that most of them install spyware, malware, and viruses on your computer when you visit the site or download anything for the "offers".
--- End quote ---

I personally wouldn't want to subject anyone to that and don't feel it would be in the best interest of our community to send DC members there for an alternative method of donating to the site. I would not be able to sleep peacefully knowing that someone gave away personal info or installed malware from one of those sites in order to fund one of my projects.  I have even talked a few Facebook game developers out of using Gambit for alternatives to paying them money for game perks.

If you can't afford to donate money, it's OK. Enjoy the free key and consider contributing in other ways...like perhaps donate your time to help test software and give feedback, contribute to discussions, spread the word about the site, our software, and community.

Money isn't the only thing that counts around here. We appreciate help and participation just as much. Most of us have adopted the donationware model for funding our software precisely because we know that not everyone can afford to pay and feel that those that can't afford it should not be forced to do so.

mahesh2k:
Alertpay and Okpay is a good option for those who can't use paypal or amazon. I think mouser should consider them on this site.

app103:
Alertpay and Okpay is a good option for those who can't use paypal or amazon. I think mouser should consider them on this site.
-mahesh2k (December 02, 2011, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

The OP wanted us to consider methods of making donations without the user having to transfer actual money...a way for broke people to "donate" with actions rather than cash.

There are services that will allow users to fill out surveys, install software and browser toolbars, join websites, sign up for newsletters, and other "free offers" instead of actually paying money. The service gets paid for the actions of a user and transfers a small percentage of that to the referring site.

They are quite popular with developers of games and apps on sites like Facebook and Myspace, but I have not seen any such service that does not contain a plethora of scams or malware, so I do not recommend them to anyone that cares about their users.

I think anyone that sends their users to such a site is selling them up the river for a few pennies. It is just as bad as putting bundled crapware in your installers.

mahesh2k:
How about Bitcoin ?

I think anyone that sends their users to such a site is selling them up the river for a few pennies. It is just as bad as putting bundled crapware in your installers.
--- End quote ---
Agree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version