ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Where is Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0??

<< < (8/10) > >>

moerl:
I just started tagging images with ACDSee... and find that it sucks at it. I can't even drag multiple tags onto one image at the same time? It will take me twice and thrice as long to tag everything if I can't do that.. and APE does it just fine. I think I'm back to APE for image organization. Good try, ACDSee, but at organization, you suck. Sadly :(. I like the speed of ACDSee and just about everything else about it. But organization is the key feature that I need in an application of this type, more than anything else in it. APE just wins in that department. For now.

nudone:
maybe the real answer is to find the graphics manager that supports the powerful tagging you've described (and it certainly does sound impressive) but with the speed of acdsee, or, something quicker.

it shouldn't really be too much to ask that there be an image manager out there that has no editing functions (not really essential for this kind of app) but supports quick load up and supper tagging/notes/metadata/etc/etc.

any ideas?

moerl:
Picajet FX is probably a good contender. Back when I tried it once, it kept crashing on me so I got rid of it and never tried again.. but it looks very interesting. It may have been an issue with my system as well. It's particularly interesting to me because it seems its MAIN FOCUS is image organization, which is just what I'm looking for. I tagged my images using APE tonight though and I just love it. Its organizational features are truly amazing. ACDSee doesn't even come close, I'm afraid. ACDSee has many great things going for it, but image organization isn't one of them.

tsaint:
How about pixvue at http://www.pixvue.com/ if you want a lightweight organizational tool? (tho the requirements say 20 mb free needed)
Seems to be just a "tagger" coping with exif,iptc and xmp - ie no edit tools built in. I like the simpleness.
The retro aspect would be a bit of a worry - having to tag your whole photo collection manually after the installation.
Having said that, I'm not using it - I'm an IMatch person.

nudone:
I just started tagging images with ACDSee... and find that it sucks at it. I can't even drag multiple tags onto one image at the same time? It will take me twice and thrice as long to tag everything if I can't do that.. and APE does it just fine. I think I'm back to APE for image organization. Good try, ACDSee, but at organization, you suck. Sadly :(. I like the speed of ACDSee and just about everything else about it. But organization is the key feature that I need in an application of this type, more than anything else in it. APE just wins in that department. For now.
-moerl (April 08, 2006, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

i've woken up a bit now and just realised what you said. you're right in saying that you can't 'drag' multiple tags onto images but CAN add multiple tags if you use the 'properties' pane to do this sort of thing...

just select the image(s), then with the 'properties - database' pane in view, simply click on the tags (categories) you want to add to the files.

i'm wondering if people don't quite 'get' acdsee because they don't adjust the layout that it installs with. i really find the default views of no use and the only real way of tapping into the power is to arrange the 'organize' and 'properties' panes to be in view at all times. the default set of buttons are pretty useless also.

once you've removed the 'context sensitive toolbar' and replaced it with the 'main toolbar' with your favourite buttons and menu commands you'll get more use out of acdsee. this combined with an arrangement of the panels being in view will certainly show you the power that the program has. oh, and the workspaces you can save and call up when required take it to another level altogether. each workspace can have it's own set of menus, buttons and panels in view - just stick a 'workspace' button on one of your menus so that you can get to it at all times.

tomorrow i'm going to try and dedicate a bit of time to have a look at photoshop elememts and imatch and maybe a couple of others to see just how they compare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version